Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Acrylics for Murals

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Keith Browning

Acrylics for Murals

Post by Keith Browning »

I have done a couple of murals and some pretty large scenic billboards but have always either worked with 1 Shot or artist's oils. I am wanting to know about the exterior acrylics for mural use and even have heard about some mural artists using exterior latex house paint. Anyone have any expert opinions or advise out there? Brands? Certain types? Thanks for looking. :?:
Keith Browning
Artistic Lettering & Design
1106 Washington St.
Vicksburg, MS 39183
Raymond Chapman

Opinion

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Well, I have opinions, none of which are very expert, but that has never stopped me yet.

While we haven't done any large murals, we have done some smaller pictorial work and used 100% acrylic latex. Many of the Walldog projects are now being done in acrylic. The one I worked on with Gary Anderson at Cornwall several years ago was acrylic, although I would not recommend the brand.

We use Gary Anderson's "Rhino Paint" (which is Porter specially mixed to his specifications). Porter is a great paint and has not failed us yet.
Dan Sawatzky

Acrylics on murals

Post by Dan Sawatzky »

Kieth

I have had the fun of doing about a 100 historical murals to date all across Canada and the USA. Most are quite large and have been up to 5000 square feet. With the exception of a handful they have all been done with acrylic paints. I wouldn't use anything else. I like the quick drying aspects of acrylic and the ease of cleanup. I have adapted my style to suit. Its also much safer to use than most other paints.

The surface is the key. I will only paint on concrete, brick or plaster. Acrylic paints expand and contract at about the same rate as the concrete and therefore stay put for a long time. They also have the ability to breathe just like concrete does.

I ask my clients to NEVER seal the walls when I am done. THe few problems I've had pver the years have been because the clients IGNORE my advice. The price is flaking paint. Acrylics and concrete need to breathe.

For the bulk of the murals I have painted we have used good old house paint... but the best quality available. Priming of the wall and two base coats are done by the client before I get there. They can get another painting contractor to do it cheaper than I would. I have prepped a few walls... same method.

The paint to look for covers well... and that is in the way it is formulated. Don't skimp on paint. If Gary recommends Porter which is available in the states I would go with that. He knows what he talks about.

Up here in Canada I use General Paint which is available in many centers across Canada. I don't think they have it in the States to my knowlege.

From what I hear Porter is better in any case.

If you need more info give me a buzz.

-dan
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

You might also get some good information still available on the old Forum pages.

Check out this similar thread from a long time ago:
http://www.theletterheads.com/wwwboard/ ... /4451.html

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons