Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

More Sad News: Big John Brassell

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

More Sad News: Big John Brassell

Post by Mike Jackson »

Image Image

Donny Pavolini, of Coker Sign Studio in Pearl, Mississippi just made a post at Letterville about the passing of Big John Brassell. Donny says he died of an aortic-aneurysm. Wow! That is a shocker to go along with Pat King earlier this week.

I only met Pat briefly at a couple of meetings, but I knew Big John much better. He certainly affected my life in a positive manner, especially as a result of his 1977 book on sandblasted signs. I met him later in Memphis and number times after that. He was a creative wizard and a master of the brush when I met him. He kicked and screamed as the computers started changing the market, then when he finally made the switch , he was as hooked as any person I ever met.

We will all miss him. I've always treasured my signed copy of his book, but now it will have an even more special place on my bookshelves.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Donny Pavolini

Big John's Departure - as posted at Letterville

Post by Donny Pavolini »

Big John Brassell of Natchez, Ms died wednesdayof an aortic-aneurysm. He was featured many times in the trade magazines in the mid-80's to the early 90's. He was an avid Letterhead attendee until both his health and finances began to fail him. He also won numerous Signs of the Times design awards.
"Big" as his friends referred to him, LOVED SIGNS. He was lightning fast with a brush, and pin-point accurate.He used to tell me "Remember, it's innovation-not imitation that will set your work apart". He was such an innovator with composition and rendering letterforms. He was also a patient teacher whose own enthusiasm motivated those who wanted to learn.
Guys, if you don't know some of these brush-slinging ol timers who paved the roads we now tread upon I encourage you to do so. There aren't many of them left and they are wealths of knowledge and exhibit the deepest respect for our beloved craft.
I want to pass along some of the names of his favourite Letterheads and Brush Masters - Mike Stevens, Keith Knecht, Raymond Chapman, Mike Jackson, Sam Pitino, Gary Anderson, The Denver Bunch- Mark Oatis, Bill Hueg and the rest, Russ Mowry, John Cox, Al Grand, Tom Lemeuix, Charlie Thames,Bob Harper, Cap, Ebberhardt and the McIltrot brothers at Signcraft. You guys had his repect and admiration and he spoke often of you.

He leaves behind his beloved wife Patsy and two sons and three daughters. If he were here to bid us farewell he would say something like "Paint em purty to knock folks out of their cars when they see em!"
I miss him deeply and so will our craft.
Donny Pavolini
Coker Sign Studio
Pearl, Mississippi

"Because my wife said I could!"