Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Quick clip of a man making gold leaf

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Quick clip of a man making gold leaf

Post by Mike Jackson »

http://www.theletterheads.com/lhparts/c ... sgold.html

Here's another short clip of a guy pounding little strips of gold into gold leaf. This came Charles Karault's Sunday morning Crossroads show from about 1983. Someone told me who the old guy was, but it has been too long and I didn't write it down. Kent Smith might know...?

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Fielder

That is GREAT STUFF!

Post by Doug Fielder »

Hey Mike,

That is a great video! My friend's grandmother was a gold beater and he has her old table and all her supplies too. I guess it is rare to find anyone just on the street that does that sort of thing.
You should put all these shows on a tape or disc and sell them, I would love to purchase something like that, since I wasn't around (I was 9 years old) to see and learn this great stuff.

Thank you for sharing.

PS- I have an original Mike Stevens "How to Hand Letter" video which is like GOLD to me.
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!
John Lennig

Gold Beating video

Post by John Lennig »

Thank You, Mike, that is wonderful! reading about it is one thing, seeing is Believing!!!

Every leaf i use from now on....will recall that short clip. The Vermont signman's friend with the Goldbeater Granny, GOLD! He should ensure that her tools are preserved...pretty rare these days.

John Lennig
"You spelled it wrong!"