2017: Fate of the Handlettering Forum

An interactive section of TheLetterheads.com

Topics include: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Off Topic Posts may be deleted at the discretion of the web hosts. ABSOLUTELY NO SHARING OF COPYRIGHTED FONTS, CLIP ART, or VIDEOS!

Please take social chit-chat elsewhere!

Moderators: Sarah Schwartz, Danny Baronian, Mike Jackson, Kent Smith

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

2017: Fate of the Handlettering Forum

Post by Mike Jackson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi to readers at the venerable old Hand Lettering Forum!

I am not exactly sure of the status here. I sent off a note to Kent and the Denver group asking about funding the site again this year and haven't heard back. I can't afford the $500 it typically costs out of my pocket and I don't want to come on here all the time asking for financial support. Possibly, we can find two sponsors willing to pay $250 each or even 5 readers willing to pay $100 each?

Currently, this bulletin board is out of date, using an old version of the PHP script. The bulletin board software needs to be updated so I can use the new PHP scripts on other applications. A few people wrote last week. The site was down when I had Network Solutions update to the new PHP script. I paid to roll the new script back to keep this place running. I could use my MyTime support to update the BB software on the 10th. Even after the update, I may still need a programmer to tweak the login/registration page again. The changes and updates could easily cost $200-$300 (over the normal yearly costs), but should make the site mechanically viable for a few more years.

We realize there are dozens, if not hundreds of Facebook sites now that are popular with segments of the original users here. The question of the day is whether this kind of BB/Forum is a dated old dinosaur (like a wind up clock) or a valued resource, complete with a search engine?

If the site is dated and unneeded, I can close it down with a couple of clicks and move on.

So, this is your chance to express your opinion, either way! Maybe there are other options?
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons

Tyler Tim

Re: 2017: Fate of the Handlettering Forum

Post by Tyler Tim » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:14 pm

Mike... I vote for keeping the site up. It's sad that facebook fame has over came some of the sites power players. But with luck some will return. I would be happy to donate half dozen of my gold leaf trims for a support auction. If that would be of any help?

Tim
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:

Chris Rummell

Post by Chris Rummell » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:11 pm

I'm a little ashamed to admit I have been lurking on this site for years as a guest and have learned a ton from the detailed posts, but never contributed to the discussion. I suspect I'm not alone in this.

I think this forum is a valuable resource and far more civil than a lot of the FB groups I've seen. I'm willing to put up some money to help keep this place running.

Kevin W Betz

Post by Kevin W Betz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:03 pm

I will Donate $100.00. Just let me know where to send it.

Kevin Betz

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:09 pm

I received a note from Kent Smith since the original post. He's checking to see if the Denver group still has enough money to cover the $500 costs for the year. Possibly, they only have part of it this year....we'll have to wait and see. Personally, I'd love to see the Forum live on for years, but I know I can't afford to go it on my own.

What I would suggest for now and in the future would be for more people here treating this Forum a bit more like Facebook. It's more or less famous for people snapping a photo of what they are eating tonight or someone's reflection in a pond. Right? There's no reason every person here couldn't snap a photo of a sign they are working on, then come back to the same page and fill it in with progressive updates and comments.

In other words, the site could be much more topical if people "showed off" some!

It has always been a great place to highlight new materials and sources and techniques, whether done with a brush, chisel, or a computer. More people need to do it, and do it more often.

Danny Baronian and I spend quite a bit of time behind the scenes helping people login problems and so forth. He deserves a lot of credit for the time he dedicates to the forum each month.

The odds are pretty good we can keep http://www.theletterheads.com site in place. I wouldn't mind adding to it if I can find time. We certainly have plenty of content to fill lots of pages there.

For now, I can simply suggest that anyone wanting to see the Hand Lettering Forum continued needs to get active, post a lot and encourage others to do the same!
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons

Kevin W Betz

Post by Kevin W Betz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:44 pm

MIKE,
Sorrta like The Letterheads Magazine. Sharing.
Knowledge shared is Priceless.

kb

Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:00 pm

I for one would gladly pay a subscription fee (as I did with Steve Shortreeds site waayy back) and since I was here from pretty much day one I acknowledge the work done behind the scenes and have only a small idea of what it takes. For another I know that you are a semi-retired gentleman who's moved on to other interests but still keep plugging away at this. when we next meet you'll get a big slap on the back from me.

For my part I'm a shy Canadian and realized just a while ago what a great resource was slipping away and have started putting my stuff up here. I'll continue doing so and if they're still not that many it's because I only do a few jobs a year and never seem to get around to photos. I'll be using the site and hope that others continue as well. It seems like just a couple of years ago I got my first computer and started dropping in on the chat rooms from that time and enjoying the social aspect of our wee industry. It's been a while "EH" Mike?

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:02 am

Okay....here's the status!

Kent Smith and the Denver Letterheads is sending $400, which wipes out their treasury. He said they haven't been doing fundraisers and will close that account as soon as the check clears. That's great...and thanks again for their support over the past years.

I contacted Network Solutions about upgrading this phpBB software, only to be told they don't offer that service.

I am now in the process of finding a php developer that can upgrade the current phpBB to the new one so other php scripts work. This is taking a LOT of my time! I am not sure how much it will cost, once I find a php developer I can trust, but I'd estimate $200-$250.

I you are interested in making a donation to the site, here's how:
Log into your PayPal account, then click the Send Money tab. In the TO field, enter sales@goldenstudios.com, and in the Description field, enter "Contribution to the Hand Lettering Forum for 2017". Finally, hit the Submit button.

Lastly, please get involved. Post a LOT and encourage others to post. On January 1st, we'll have to evaluate the situation and make a few choices about continuing the site or letting the resource go dark with a 404 error. If you are young and energetic and would like to take the reins for the two sites, we'd entertain that option, too.

Many people here probably attended one or more Letterheads meeting. Consider make a new post of your own and title it "Boise BB", "Oklahoma Bash", "Denver 20th" or whatever and post some of your photos from the event. Others can add to your post with their photos. Feel free to add personal comments like, "That event changed my life..."

History of the Letterheads — Timeline 1982-1993 http://theletterheads.com/2014/04/17/hi ... 1982-1993/

Best regards,
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons

Christopher Trenary

Post by Christopher Trenary » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:53 pm

I can donate what I can. I really don't mess with facebook and finding this forum has been a godsend.

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi again,
Things might look a bit different on the Forum, but as far as I can tell things should be working. We hired a php Developer to move the site to the new server and update the phpBB software.

There are a few new features and security patches for the new version.

I don't know exactly how much this costs yet, but I am guessing $300. So far I've received $100 towards the costs. I should know the exact amount next early next week after we let the site run over the weekend.

Log into your PayPal account, then click the Send Money tab. In the TO field, enter sales@goldenstudios.com, and in the Description field, enter "Contribution to the Hand Lettering Forum for 2017". Finally, hit the Submit button.

Even if you can't contribute, PLEASE get involved and make lots of posts, ask lots of questions, and help promote the site when you can.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons

Andrew Lawrence

Post by Andrew Lawrence » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:31 pm

I really hope you keep the forum around, but I might suggest moving it to something that is a little more mobile friendly like a tapatalk forum.

The reason I've not posted as much on here is because A. There are similar groups on facebook and B. This forum isn't as friendly to how people use the internet these days which is more on mobile. For example, I just tried to make a post, but the photos were on my phone... So in order to get them on the forum, I linked to their facebook origin, then the forum didn't like that format (photo size undetermined), then I had to upload them on tinypic.com, and the forum didn't like that so I instead uploaded them as links. I'm probably a half hour in already and I couldn't get a photo up.

It's a big time suck to try and share/showoff when you run into trouble like this. I'd venture to say that most of us aren't getting out our camera to take photos of all our work... that would mean, take photos, upload to computer, upload to photoshop, resize, THEN upload to this site ...rather we are just snapping pics on our phones and then shooting that off into facebook/instagram/flickr/tumblr etc.

I hope this is some constructive criticism that helps make the site relevant to the users. I really think it is a gem of a resource and have gotten a lot from it, I just wish it was a bit more mobile friendly. Thanks again too for the hard work keeping this going!

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Andrew, this version of the forum is brand new and it installed with a few default settings. One of them was a limit on the size of the images. I upped it just now, so that shouldn't be a problem. I have a feeling you would be able to pull a photo from your phone via something like DropBox or maybe one of the cloud storage options.
PolloLoco-1.jpg
Costa Rica
PolloLoco-1.jpg (110.72 KiB) Viewed 52 times
This one came from my Dropbox account. I tried a photo on my camera roll and got the message suggesting the file is too large. There might be an option in the admin software to reduce large images down to fit the site. I'll check later.
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:18 pm

If you don't like using PayPal, you can always send a check to

Golden Era Studios
PO Box 7850
Jackson, WY 83002

You can add "Contribution to the Hand Lettering Forum for 2017" to the description if desired.

Thanks to the readers that have already send funds! And, of course, thanks to the Denver Letterheads for all of their support over the years.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons

Aaron Taylor

Post by Aaron Taylor » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:39 am

$100 donation will be sent today from me. This is just small chump change compared to what I have learned on the forum in the last 10 years. Much cheaper than a workshop and searchable when you forget.

Thanks for all you guys do and sharing the love of signmaking!

-aaron
Aaron
Brix Design

alan giberson

Post by alan giberson » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:19 pm

Donation sent. Let this forum live! I'll try to keep posting more.

Andrew, get a computer and quit staring at that tiny screen! Otherwise, what if ya took a screenshot of the photo on your phone, then tried uploading it, would that reduce its size at all? just a thought, I'm not too tech savvy...

Really glad to see this forum stay alive. I've learned so much on here and can't really fuss with the facebook stuff..