Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Bon-Ami types

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Stan Hubbard

Bon-Ami types

Post by Stan Hubbard »

Hello Danny, Thank you for the login help. And thank you for the tip on the two types of bon-ami also. I'm now the proud owner of the wrong stuff. I'm glad that I didn't use it yet! I will order some Shadazzle. I have only Angel-gilded in the past and want to start using "real gold" as my brother calls it, so I'm gathering a new set of materials. I want to make certain that I have good components so I'll have fewer errors to contend with. I am planning on using gelatin caps to make size solution with, is that ok?, or would you suggest another product? Thanks again! Stan
Robert Schwieger

Re: Bon-Ami types

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Chevrolet has handled a product in the body shop that duplicates the original Bon Ami, Windshield Cleaner/Ami Cleaning Powder #1050011. I have used it with success in preparing glass for gilding.
Stan Hubbard

Post by Stan Hubbard »

Thank you Robert for your tip! I'll see if there's any of that in our town, Juneau, perhaps I won't have to order-out. Cheers!
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Robert Schwieger wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:53 am Chevrolet has handled a product in the body shop that duplicates the original Bon Ami, Windshield Cleaner/Ami Cleaning Powder #1050011. I have used it with success in preparing glass for gilding.
make SURE that if you use windshield cleaner that it does not contain silicone products ~ such as Rain-X.
Kings Bay Signs
Kingsland, GA ~ 1980-2008 (Retired)
Stan Hubbard

Post by Stan Hubbard »

Hello John, Thank you for your reply! I looked around our town without success so I ordered some bon-ami original formula and some shadazzle from amazon. It should only take a week or so to get up here. I'll take the new-formula bon-ami to the cabin & clean other stuff with it. There are plenty of other tasks to putz-around with 'till the right stuff arrives. Cheers!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Just a quick addition....the gelatine capsules are probably not the best idea. You can get the diamond wedges from a bakery supplier or if you're in Canada Canadian Signcrafters. In the states Ron and Kristi Purcell are a best guess.