Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Electro Pounce

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Electro Pounce

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Jeffrey P. Lang on August 29, 2002
I have recently purchased a used "Electro-Pounce Sr." & started using it for patterns. I have been using 20# white paper & it seems no matter how high I set the voltage (120 max) or sharpen & clean the tip, I cant seem to get the holes very big. I have been using a 22 ga galvanized sheet for the surface. The puonce has been working great for small stuff, but for larger patterns used on walls & such, It has beenbarely visible.
Any suggestions?
Jeff
Carol
Sharpening the tip. Hummmm Perhaps a "duller" more rounded tip would make a larger hole. Otherwise, what kid of pounce powder are you using? I suppose you've already tried moving the pen more slowly.

Have you touched the tip yet? yaough :-)
Jeffrey P. Lang
Carol,
I should have stated "cleaned the tip" with sandpaper and I left it rounded. The powder I am using is black charcoal. Like I said, it's working fine on the small stuff, I thought I have seen patterns with larger holes.
More experimenting later, & I have been hit by the tip before. WOWWEE! It took me about a half an hour for the "buzz" to wear off.

Raymond Chapman
Try putting another piece of paper under your pattern paper. This will raise the pattern a little and give you more space for the "spark" to burn a larger hole.

When I was making a lot of patterns I would give a piece of kraft paper taped to the metal easel cover. Also, move the stylus a little slower and it will burn larger holes....but not too slow or you will have a really big hole.
Barbara Shilling
When I worked in a shop that did a lot of wall work, we used SEVERAL sheets (2 or 3) under the pattern. Be careful not to start the whole darn thing on fire though. We sometimes made holes as large as 1/4 inch when we had a really rough wall to paint. Not elegant, but in those days, the person slinging the brush also knew letter construction, and the pattern was to "give an idea" of where to paint.
Mike Jackson
Yep, do as Raymond suggested. Put an extra layer of paper under your top one. It will make the holes quite a bit bigger. We only had the JR model and it worked fine.

Mike Jackson
Jeffrey P. Lang
Ray & Mike,
Thanks, I figured there was a simple solution, I'll give it a try.
Jeff
Kent Smith
I have used a finishing nail with the head out to give a larger spark surface with mixed results. Second layer of paper works better. And using paint lok steel instead of galvanized transmits the spark better, and contrary to my practice, keep the metal clean as well as free of paint.