Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gerber Paint Mask

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Gerber Paint Mask

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Vance Galliher on August 14, 2002
late evening, just one more step to do on project due tomorrow........latex faux painted panel with hdu gilded letters and a little one shot painted pictorial.......small line of copy left to add.......don't want to use vinyl so i have copy cut in paint mask....burnish down....softly brush on enamel .....and remove mask..........danmit !!!heavy bleed around everything.!!!.....i don't think paintmask works on satin latex ??.....vance
Danny Baronian
What gerber mask were you using? There is a type 1 and 2, 1 being the most common with the lowest tack.

I have found using type 2 being more agressive, works well over uneven surfaces or latex. I've found that the type 1 barely sticks to latex, and as Mike said some paint brands are worse than others.

A note of caution . Get your job done and remove the mask as the stronger tack or the 2 will set up. Wait too long and you'll take up more than you want.

Type 1 and 2 can be distinguished by the release paper. Type one has gerber mask printed in red, type 2 in blue.

Danny

Vance Galliher
........that's it.......red print, type 1, lowest tack.......since bkgd was latex, clearup was easy...just wiped it off with thinner....i'll try vinyl today....hope that sticks ?........vance
Danny Baronian
Another thought.

If you use gerber mask 2 or intermediate vinyl, dust the panel with shadow kolin and lightly brush off the excess powder prior to applying the vinyl.

You will have a good vinyl seal and the koline helps release a little easier.

As always test first.

Danny

Danny Baronian
Give vinyl a try, but a word of warning. It's more agressive than either of the two gerber mask's. Gerber mask was made with the intent of removing the mask within a short time.

If you try vinyl, do a test and use intermediate, not high performance. Leave in on a day or two and you will definately pull up the latex.

Danny
Vance Galliher
no no no danny........hahaha......not vinyl as a mask, but rather as the end result !!.....i applied it today, and delivered.......(god , what a hot day in the pacific northwest to pound a piece of pipe into the ground......!can you believe 104f yesterday !!!!! are we in arizona toto??..........) i really like low luster, latex bkgd ...(except for smalts).........but it is so hard to handle, especially flat black, without leaving all kinds of marks and fingerprints..........i'm not liking flat black much anymore !!!...vance
Carol
Vance,
are you saying that you will use vinyl INSTEAD of mask, or AS the mask?
Good luck
Vance Galliher
.......instead of !!..........i only use promo vinyl as mask when doing graphics on sumbrella with flock ink..........vg
Mike Jackson
We've had that problem before. Next time, try masking as normal, then apply a coat of latex in the open areas. In your case, you might even faux latex the area a bit. Anyway, if and when the paint bleeds under, it will be the same color as the background. This one coat of latex will seal all those bleed-unders. Let it dry, then brush on the enamel. You will get almost no additional bleeds. Your faux background might muddle the process a bit, but at least you will be touching up latex over latex instead of latex over enamel.

Unless the letters were going to get an outline with enamel, we always took this extra step, even when doing only pinstripes with taped edges. Flat and satin latex is usually worse than gloss latex, and some brands like Benjamin Moore were culprits.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson