Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Ribbons / Banners Artwork

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Ribbons / Banners Artwork

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Robert Beverly on July 31, 2002
Heads

Where would one find a good collection of these type of drawings?...I have examples thru the mag and work that I have seen but am not much of a pencil artist(yet!). Mike, you may want to consider a disk that explores this area in much greater detail...:)...I would buy it!

I did notice an old book that had examples but am not sure where I saw it. Is there anything out there?

Thanx in advance!
Mike Jackson
Dover sells a book or two devoted exclusively to ribbons and banners. Of course they are not in vector format, and even some of the pen drawings are rough, but you can get some good ideas. They sell for only about $6-7 per book, so you can't go wrong there. Strong's Book of Designs and Atkinson's Sign Painter has a few pages in each. Rick Glawson probably still has a few of them around. You might check out the Book Store in the back of an AMOL magazine. They have quite a few books on fruit labels, orange crate labels, tins, cigar labels, and so forth. There are usually a few ribbons and banners in them....source material. I snuck in a few ribbons and panels in my CD's but that was not the focus of my attention.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Barbara Schilling
J.N. Halstad's Modern Ornament and Design, and J.M. Bergling's Ornamental Designs and Illustrations both have some nice examples. Also, I have a clip art library called Desk Gallery from Zedcor which has some. Try ArtToday.com You can download royalty free art for as little as about $8.00, and it has a great search engine.
Robert Beverly
Thanx guys for the references...I am hunting them down!