Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Care and Feeding of Brushes

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Care and Feeding of Brushes

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Catharine Kennedy on July 27, 2002
Everything I've read says to oil brushes after cleaning & to not let them dry out. WHY?
Raymond Chapman
As you work with lettering brushes paint will work its way upon into the ferrule (the metal part above the hair)and it is almost impossible to clean all of the paint out of this area. If the paint is allowed to dry there and builds up with each use eventually it will harden around the hairs and as you use the brush the hair will break and shed off.

Using oil after each use slows this process down and prevents the paint from drying completely in the ferrule. I suppose that it also keeps the hair a little more supple. Be sure that you rinse the oil out of the brush before use.

To lengthen the life of your brushes be sure that you don't leave paint in the brush and then go do something else. Anytime you are going to not be using the brush (even to take a coffee break) clean it and oil it. It's not a bad idea to clean the brush occasionaly if you are using it for a long period of time just to be sure that the paint doesn't get a chance to dry in the heel.

And never put the brush hair down in a can of thinner and leave it. The hair will bend and you will be able to paint around corners.
Brian Tait
I hear you should use transmission fluid insted of oil as the oil if not completely cleaned out will seep into your paint an cause it either not to dry completley or shorten the exterior life of your paint. whereasn trans fluid works w/ your paint if such should happen.

brian j tait omaha ne mid-coast!
Rick Sacks
After whatever testing Rick Glawson does before he opens his mouth with a preferance, he likes mineral oil best.
Barbara Schilling
After 28 years I have never used anything but Lard Oil. Never had any of the problems some people mention such as cold weather or rodents or bugs. But what is mineral oil and why is it good?
Raymond Chapman
Barbara, I've had several brushes ruined by mice because they loved the lard oil. After awhile it also has a rancid smell - at least here in Texas. But then, in the summertime in Texas, everything smells rancid. (Beat you to it, Jackson)

I've used Castor Oil in the past also, but now just am satisfied with old 30w Pennzoil.

By the way, Mike, my brother said that he was by your old shop when he was in Jackson Hole a few weeks ago. Didn't stop in, was just driving by.

Rick Sacks
I used lard oil all these years with no problems. Then I read about these oils with neutral pH and how much better they were and how acidic lard oil is and switched, never knowing if it was all BS or not. Then the lard oil and Saphire oils seemed to not be on suppliers shelves any longer and rather than rendering my own oil, I called Mr. Glawson to find his opinion, because he's been known to have a few. He always seems to have a basis for these opinions, and I went with his cinclusion. Mineral oil. Unsented.
Sarah C.
I always used transmission oil too and I am one of Raymonds rancid neighbors in Arkansas.
Mike Jackson
Hi Barb,
I never used Lard Oil because of the early warnings of rodents and bugs being attracted to it. I suspect part of that is area dependent. I do remember someone on a BB saying they actually did have the problem with bugs, so it just confirmed the old rumor. Sounds like Lard Oil is working fine for you!
Mike Jackson

Vance Galliher
way back in the late seventies,.......santa cruz, ca.......i used lard oil....then when to boulder,colo......way too cold for lard,......changed to transmission .......been in oregon 20 years, and have never changed my fluid.........vance
Mike Jackson
Hi Brian and the rest,
Someone sells "brush oil" that is supposed to be specifically designed for brushes. It is probably something else with a new label. The last time I bought a can, I ended up having to pay "hazardous freight" on it, so I have reverted back to regular oil. Transmission fluid would probably be the better choice, but I had a can of Penzoil 30 weight opened at the time.

Take care,
Mike Jackson
Catharine Kennedy
Thanks- that finally makes things clear!