Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Doming and Gold Leaf?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Doming and Gold Leaf?

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Raymond Chapman on July 22, 2002
How long do I have to wait after doming some cut out HDU letters to apply the size and gold leaf? Letters are about three inches tall.
Dan Sawatzky
not yet....... not yet...... not yet...... not quite yet.

NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Raymond I couldn't resist.
:)
-dan
Raymond Chapman
Thanks, Dan.

I did just like you said and it still didn't work.

I think maybe you have had to much "Giggle" lately.
Danny Baronian

Hi Raymond,
I think Dan was correct on the timing, and I think you were correct that Dan has had too much 'Giggle' lately.

Well, the dialogue was good for a few giggles.

I'm going to take a stab at your question. I'm assuming what you are refering to as 'doming' is the use of resin on the top of letters to round over the edges, correct?

If so, the resin is usually a polyester laminating resin used with mekp. On thin applications such as this the resin will cure in 1 - 2 hours.

I would leave it overnight though, since thin applications of resin take longer to cure.

If this isn't the information your looking for, and the process in question is different, please post detailed information.

Danny