Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Brush Lettering Favorites

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Brush Lettering Favorites

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Cam Bortz on April 11, 2002
Lately I've been dancing with the squirrels a fair bit (you know, the grey ones in the kit); some fancy stuff, but a lot of of good-old ordinary pounce pattern lettering. Almost all my patterns are computer generated, and I have my favorites styles when it comes to actually swinging a brush. Now I'm wondering, what styles do you folks enjoy lettering? Not so much the look, per se, but what styles work well with the brush.
Sarah C.
I think everyone developes their own style in the casual and casual scripts. I had a casual single stoke and a casual script that I really liked doing.
Mike Jackson

(Unable to post image. Broken link?)
Hi Cam,
The old sign painter's scripts and casuals are the most fun to do with a brush. If you are asking about standard letterstyles, I'd have to say the ones with rounded serifs are much easier to hand letter than square serifed ones. Fonts like Souvenir, Windsor, Goudy, & Cooper Black go fast and easy with a good pattern. Goudy might be my favorite of that group.

Mike Jackson
Billy Bob
The many styles of brush script lettering, because it's the hardest to master. And casual- "quickie", because it's the most versitile and fastest to stroke.
My favorite (and most controlable) brushes are "Cosmos" red sable quills.