Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Red Sox Redux

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Red Sox Redux

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Cam Bortz on March 31, 2002
Last spring Bob Rochon and myself painted a large graphic on the field at Fenway Park in Boston (Signs of the Times, Nov. 2001), and we were called back to do it again this year. The major difference was that we were contracted directly by the Red Sox, instead of through an ad agency, which proves that corporate executives ARE capable of learning from their mistakes!

The Red Sox called last Saturday, nine days before Opening Day, Monday, April 1. By the time they settled on a design and accepted our price, it was Wednesday afternoon. With a signed commitment in hand, we made phone calls to various suppliers lining up paint, hardener, etc., and I took a motel room in Boston for myself and my employee, Scott "Kid Blast" Keller. Scott and I scoured Home Depot on Wednesday night for rollers and other assorted goodies (like knee pads!) and arrived in Boston on Wednesday night. At 7am on Thursday we were on the field. The area to be painted is an asphalt composite, shaped like a horseshoe surrounding home plate from baseline to baseline. We scraped, swept, and vaccuumed for four hours to remove loose paint and dirt, laid down two coats of primer, then a coat of Chromatic white bulletin enamel, leaving it to set up overnight.

At 6am Friday we were perforating and taping up pounce patterns for the 52" letters and numbers. By nine we were laying out and adjusting our patterns, arguing over kerning and spacing, and by 10 the paint was going down, cutting in our copy with three and four inch brushes. By two o'clock the job was essentially done; another three hours was spent on touching up here and there, cleaning up, and getting paid (!!!)

Altogether, a rewarding and profitable experience. I'll let you know how long it takes for my knees and hamstrings to recover!
Rick Sacks
Was any of the set up from last year valid? Any patterns? I know the procedure was. As far as man hours, how do you compare the two events? Do you get season passes as part of the deal? It's been a while since I saw Ted Williams and Jimmy Pearsol playing at Fenway.
Francine Jones
I was doing a search on Jimmy Pearsol and came up with your link! I was actually telling someone I'd seen Ted and Jimmy play at Fenway (a few years ago - haha!)
Cam Bortz
The copy was changed, as were the colors, but the copy size was the same. Timewise, we were very close to last year. Actually we will be going back next week. Because of time and weather constraints, we were not able to apply the finish clearcoat, so we are returning to Fenway to do a touch-up after the first two games and apply the clear. At that time we will also be arranging a schedule for repaints to keep the image "fresh" through the season.

You saw Ted and Jimmy play? You can't be that old, Rick!
Rick Sacks
I not only saw them play regularly, I played with Jimmy's daughter when we were in elementary school and had many meals at their home.
Kent Smith
You are old Rick. Cam, sounds like a great project and could develop into a nice relationship when they realize you will take care of them. Also could turn up with more work in that case. Nice to hear successes.
Cam Bortz
Thanks Kent. So far the relationship with the team executives has been fine. We even met John Henry, the new owner of the Red Sox (aka the 600-million-dollar man). The interesting thing is that we were hired by the head of Special Promotions, NOT regular park maintenance, which has a sign company that handles all the advertising signage in the park. That company had two electrician/installers lettering the dugout roofs (similar to the work we were doing) and they came by to chat and said they wished we were doing their job, because they hate painting! Time will tell if we get on a regular "vendors list" and are called upon to do other projects of this nature.
Kent Smith
Sounds like the electricians gave you an opening to talk to maintenance about other painting projects. Obviously you don't want the electrician's jobs but the door could be open. Carefully done with diplomacy, could work into more. I always like to keep my ear to the ground. Recently, a few stray comments at a Chamber of Commerce Business After Hours gathering, netted a nice long term contract.
Bill Masters
Have been painting Miller beer stands for two years now at Shea. Last year Bud rep saw our work and asked for a card and said they would like us to do something for them this year.
I called them, rest is history. We spent 10 days there painted four Mich Lite bottles and some logos on 3 stands. The agency and Bud reps were very pleased.
One AE from agency said my beer bottles looked so good, they looked like vinyl printed stickers. I guess that's a compliment. 2 days ago the agency called. I have to go to Yankee Stadium to measure three walls. One wall they want to paint a whole team of clydesdales. What a great business we are in..