Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Snapper

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Snapper

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Carol on March 27, 2002
A friend just sent me a copy of "Snapper", a collection of stories of sign painters. It was put out by John Hodgins last year. I hadn't seen it before. His email addy is listed as: jhodgins@2ki,net. I'll bet that is 'spose to be .net. There are stories by/about Monty Jumper, "Big John" Bassell, Bob Harper, "Doc" Guthrie and many more.
Kent Smith
Bob Harper just sent a copy to me along with some galleys of idea pages and other ramblings of his to see if I thought it would make a good book. The Snapper book is fun to read.
Rick Sacks
It is great to see this in publication! The biggest part of the book was written by John Saint, who I apprenticed to. John is a dear friend to whom I owe much. After years of encouraging him to write some of the stories we'd laugh about at lunch times, he finally decided to. There are many more, and many better, that will be in future volumes. Some of the stories are snapper stories and some are just sign shop humor. The book is a fun read and costs $10. Be careful bending open the paper binding, cause it's a crappy job and easily looses pages. It was published as it was delivered, without proofreading so there are typo's and gramatical errors that should have been fixed. It's fun and well worth the investment in time and money.
Carol
Yep. John Hodgins mentions in the introduction that "You walk a fine line between correcting people's copy and preserving their style of writing."

I'd say we should add this one to our libraries.

His address is listed as:
John Hodgins
120 Elm Street
Batavia, NY 14020
D. Bernhardt
Would love to see that one. Enjoyed the Harper stories in AMAL and Sign Business some months ago.
Vance Galliher
aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh...........hey doug,....good to hear your voice again my friend !hahahah......vance.....and yours too carol, .....thanks for "team work" !!!