Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Squirrels

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Squirrels

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Patty Callahan on March 20, 2002
Got a call from a client with 3yr old signs. She claimed they were weathering but upon inspection the edges were chewed away all around the top and sides of the sign. I repaired the signs using epoxy putty and repainted to match, then placed copper flashing around the top and sides w/ an epoxy adhesive. The signs have be up for a week. I was in the neighborhood yesterday and could see that the signs were clawed and scratched down to raw plywood on the inside of the flashing. Outside of a massive relocation program are there any products that keep squirrels from doing this?

Kent Smith
Check with local animal control. Can't remember what it is but there is a solution that is harmless but can be sprayed around the area and keep them away.
Rick Sacks
What about cutting some clear lexan to fit the space and using some spacers to provide an eigth inch clearance between the sign and the lexan? The space is to ventillate and drain any accumulation of condensation.
Bruce Bowers
Patty,

I would try spraying the sign faces and posts with "Bitter Apple". It is available at most pet stores and is highly effective in keeping varmits from chewing on things that you don't want them to.

Have a great one!