Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Dave Corell's 4 X 8 Site Signs in SC

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Dave Corell's 4 X 8 Site Signs in SC

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Mike Jackson on March 19, 2002
Dave Correll did two nice 4 x 8 site signs as step by steps in SC this month (page 48). (Note Post Date Above)I have a few questions for the readers here about his project.

He says he only used 1 quart of primer and 1.5 quarts of enamel on the project. He only lettered one side of each panel, but this doesn't seem like enough material allowance for four faces (?). We usually end up with at least three coats one each face of our signs, either two primers and one finish coat, or one primer and two finish coats. Just curious how many you do and how much paint you allow for both sides of two panels?

I'm not trying to be too picky on this article, but it looks like he had to use at least one roller on the primer, one for he background color, and another for the roller blend used on the lettering. It never said how much he actually got for the job, though he says he got surprisingly close to his bid. I'd love to hear that number!

Mike Jackson
Danny Baronian
Seems a little on the shy side for the paint, though I probably go in the opposite direction.

Glad I'm not the only one scratching my head as to the final price. The way the head lead off you expected to see a cost analysis, which was not there.

On the subject of SignCraft, what do you think of getting the magazine with a nice picture on the front with the mailing label covering the picture?

Bummer. Spoils the picture and covers the name of the signmaker.

Danny
Mike Jackson
Hi Danny,
My SignCraft magazines have been arriving in a plastic bag, but now I can't remember if the label is normally pasted to the cover or not. My last mailed version never arrived, so they sent me one direct from the office. Sorry to hear about your label location!

Mike