Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Blended Backgrounds

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Blended Backgrounds

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Rick Sacks on March 19, 2002
When painting blended backgrounds with a cutter I often think I need to add some boiled oil or Smiths Cream to keep the edge wet long enough to blend. This causes the paint film to seem thick and clunky and greatly reduces the dry and cure times.

Have any of you found a way to get a nice blend fast and have it look like a normal thin coat of enamel?
D Bernhardt
A little boiled lindseed oil is what I saw John Studden use a few years ago at Rick's. Doesn't need anywhere near the time of Smith's cream and one shot do! Don't fuss over it though!
Kent Smith
I just did one using only a small amount of Chromaflo and High Temp. Kept a wet edge nicely without the buildup. You can also pre-mix Smith's Cream with High Temp or Turps to get a thinner retarder. Much preferred when you don't need the thick creamy ground as required for pictorial work. I have also pre-thinned boiled oil in much the same way which helps with the dry time. Adding a drop or two of dryer or a dry enhancing varnish will eliminate the no-dry situation except on vinyl banners.
Carol
Hi Rick,
I use rollers or airbrush, but remember my problem with Smith's Cream and vinyl banners? They don't mix. They don't dry.