Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Computer Assisted Drawing

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Computer Assisted Drawing

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Dan Sawatzky on March 16, 2002
I love my computer. And a lot of my design work is produced there. The difference is that I do the work freehand on the computer for the most part.

I like to sketch my designs on old fashioned paper. I always keep a hard bound sketchbook with me for this purpose and fill a bunch each year. Much faster and easier for me than working on the screen at this concept phase. I then scan the scribbles in to the computer. Photoshop makes for quick work as I clean things up... resize... and reposition...combine a series of sketches.... edit and all that stuff. We used to do all that with layers of tracing paper.

From there its off to my favorite program... Painter combined with my 12" X 12" digital drawing pad makes for easy hand drawn work which is easily edited to create exactly what I want.

I don't use clipart.... and even hand draw most of my lettering.

When I do resort to type setting with the computer I find it looks way to technical for my eye. I take my digital pen and trace over it... heavily editing it to make the typeface into something more palatable... and custom. For much of the work I produce I don't want each 'a' to look like the one before it. It depends on where it fits into the word. I like much of my work to look hand drawn.

I don't own a plotter. When I need a pattern for handlettering I use my overhead projector and transparencies produced on the computer.

In short, my computer is a wonderful tool I use to assist me in design. It makes my job faster and lets me get to the stuff I love.... hands on work.

I don't think I will ever change.... but I believe I will always find more than enough people who want a little of the magic I am privileged to produce.

Keep having fun as you produce magic in your shop too!

-dan

Giggle Ridge Studios
Cultus Lake B.C. Canada

Carol
Dan,
Where is Cultus Lake B.C.? I 'spose I could look on a map...
but you're right here. How far north of the border are you?
Dan Sawatzky - I am here
Cultus Lake is about 60 miles east of Vancouver. We are only three or four miles from the border.
It is real near Chilliwack... 20 miles east of Abbotsford... 60 miles east of Vancouver. Just north of the border by three or four miles.

-dan

Cultus Lake B.C. Canada