Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Ink Remover?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Ink Remover?

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS
Hi everyone,
I have a couple of old books and magazines with ink pen scribble marks in them. A long time ago, a guy gave me a demonstration of how the writing on a check could be removed with some solution (he was trying to sell one of the Paymaster machines that punch the numbers into the check). Does anyone here know of that solution and where to get it?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Jackson
Mayo Pardo
A few weeks ago I saw a "Forensic Detective" type of show on TV and they had a story about how an enterprising criminal had determined what chemical would remove just the ball point pen ink from checks. The method involved placing the check into a tray of solvent until the writing (but not the printed check info) disappeared. Then it was allowed to air dry. He then re-wrote the check for a much larger amount and signed it fraudulently.

Needless to say, they didn't specifically name the solvent. They did say however, that it was commonly available in any hardware store. That would narrow down the selection to a lot of solvents you might already have on hand.

I would write (with several different blue pens) onto paper or book pages that you know are worthless, and then use the various solvents.
Perhaps soaking the area written on with a cotton ball saturated with the solvent would do the trick.

I have a book I'd love to remove writing from too.
If I have success I'll report back.
Danny Baronian
Try one of the cleaners you used for cleaning your screen printing screens. The liquids are basically enzymes to begin with. Finding one that attacks just blue may be a little harder.

The cleaners come in varying strengths for enamels to epoxy’s.

Trying to find that exact cleaner may be as hard to find as the back up paint you once tried to get.

Next best bet - get online and do a search for business's that provides book restoration - binderies, etc. - they may be of some help.

Danny
Danny Baronian
One more thought re ink removal. Problem is, it's a lot more intrusive.

The fibreglass 'pens' you use to remove gold for blending are similar to the old typewritter erasers.

It will remove the ink, but also some paper. May be worth a try it the marking is minor.

Any fluid added to the page to remove the ink may also bleach the paper.

Danny
Mike Jackson
Hi Danny,
I think I will take a couple of test pieces over to a dry cleaner. I know they have a lot of vairous stain and ink removers that have to be gentle on colored fabrics. Worth a shot! If it works, I will make an additional post.

Mike Jackson
Sarah
Not sure what kind of ink it is but bleach will remove most ink stains that arent India Ink, or at least dull them way way down.
Mike Jackson
Hi Sarah,
I think this stuff was some sort of enzyme that attacked the ink pen ink, but not the printed ink. It removed the blue ink I had written out without a trace. Bleach would remove more than I want to remove, I think!