Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Random Survey

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Random Survey

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Carol on February 15, 2002
How many inches from the floor to the bottom of your easel?
Just curious.

Mike Jackson
Hi Carol,
I measured ours today and the bottom is 28" off the floor. Since Darla uses it much more than me, it seems to fit. The bottom is a little low for me unless sitting on a chair. Ours tilts out or in as needed, but usually stays at about 15°.

I built a motorized one back in Oklahoma, which worked great as far as I am concerned. We sold it with the shop 6 years ago. It had some gears, chain and a high ratio motor that could lift the entire easel part. The frame was made out of steel and had a tin 4 x 8 face which was connected to our electro pounce machine. I made it so it could tilt out for normal use and fold down for projecting. The whole thing was on large, locking casters so we could move it around if needed. I bought most of the parts from WW Grainger and had a local welder help me build it.

Mike Jackson
Raymond Chapman
32" to bottom of 4' x 8' Easel - non adjustable. About 10 degree angle off vertical.

When I worked with another company I built one of the Bob Fitzgerald adjustable easels and it was great. Also while there I built a 4' x 24' easel attached to the wall with one 8' section at the end adjustable. It was also 32" from the floor - which is just about perfect for my height. I can stand or sit on a stool and still work comfortably.

Of course, now most of my work is at on a chair in front of this computer.
Billy Bob
Yardstick out, it's 23". Right above by stumpy little legs when i'm perched upon my little lettering throne. I've worked in shops that had their easel too high, like 36" and had to stand on a box or something to reach the top of a sign.
Cam Bortz
That's a two-part question. I have a fixed wall bench for layouts, pouncing, etc. and the bottom is 3' off the floor. I also have a big studio easel that can be moved around; basically an 8'high A-frame made of 2x4s, where most actual lettering gets done. Height adjustment on that is from 12" to 66" in 6 inch increments.
Kent Smith
My easel is based upon the one designed by Bob Fitzgerald with modifications for vertical height adjustment and adjusts from 28 inches to 48 inches. It also tilts from vertical to horizontal in about 10 degree increments. By the way, the overall size is 4'x12' and is mounted on casters.
Jeff Lang
My main easel is 36" from the floor.
I am 6' tall & have a good reach, the easel seem to be comfortable, but often when tilted up I have problems reaching the top.
Jeff