Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Who Will Your Sign Kit go to When Your Gone?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Who Will Your Sign Kit go to When Your Gone?

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Donny Pavolini on January 22, 2002
I don't like to post depressing things but maybe we should take a moment to think about who will our physical signmaking treasures be left to.
Last weekend I drove to Gulfport Ms to the shop of a long-time friend who passed away. He was a devoted artist and cartoonist who valued his meager tools and brushes as well as his favorite sign samples and drawings.
A mutual friend of ours bought the signshop and thought maybe there were some things I might like to have.When I got there all of his saws and nice furniture was gone along with his best art. That was to be expected but what bothered me was his other stuff like his brushes and older hand tools and drawings of lesser quality were scattered about in a mess.
It looked like the family took what they wanted and tried to destroy what they didn't. I have been able to salvage some of these last objects that belonged to my friend knowing how disgusted he would have been at their lack of respect.
On the way home I asked my wife and son what would they do with my collection of tools,signs and brushes and they assured me that nothing would be tossed out that was important to me.I am grateful for that. I will miss my friend Pat Anderson. I will treasure his memories.
Billy Bob
It's horrible to contemplate the end. My biggest fear is that all of the art that I have spent so much love and time making will just get tossed into a dumpster after I die.
I have attended the auctions held by the survivors (familys) of two old signpainters. I was looking for old books, and did aquire various treasures such as hundreds of unused quills and two packs of gold leaf. I bought a box of old sign magazines for $5 and found in it the portfolio of '50s era sign work that the maker had obviously been very proud of.
It really made me think of the time when someone, who will someday find mine. I hope they keep it out of respect.
Rick Sacks
I have kits from a couple of the guys I apprenticed to.
I assume that if neither of my kids or wife wanted them as well as my kit, my friends would be called and someone will make that call on my behalf.
My family understands and respects how I feel about them. Isn't it interesting that we don't have that sentiment about our plotters!