Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Putting Lines on Foamcore Board

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Putting Lines on Foamcore Board

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by harry jones,harry,s signs on December 22, 2001
I have four foamcore boards 4 by 6 feet with approximatly 150 to 200 grad photos attached to the boards. The photographer would like the names of these grads lettered under the photos. If I use pencil I will have to erase. When this is done it leaves a shiny streak that shows up very dominately. Charcoal will not work either, because the minute the ink hits it, it spreads. I am at wits end. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Raymond Chapman
I'd use a line from the War on Drugs - "Just say no".

From experience these jobs always take a tremendously longer time to complete than you can estimate, plus somewhere along the line they will get a name wrong (or you will make a mistake).

If you have already accepted the job then you are in for a lot of tedious work. The work that I've done on this material I've used a soft lead pencil and erased the lines, but as you said it will leave a shiny spot.

If you can, it would be better to recommend another substrate. The cost of the material is nothing compared to the time you will have to spend on this job. Do they already have the photos attached to the foamboard? If so, and you have already accepted the job, then what I would do is pray a lot.

Believe me, my advice is based upon a lot of experience doing things just like this and living to regret it. Sometimes the wise move is to just walk away.

Billy Bob
I'd create the names (W. my Mac) in a legable type style, at the approprite size. Print them, cut 'em out w. scissors, and affix w. Double sided tape or rubber cement. Cheap, simple and clean (I hope).
Merry Xmas everybody!
harry jones harry's signs
thanks for the replies, the problem is these have to be hand lettered, the photographer could have his secretary type in the names an paste them on but he wants a more professional look. thats why i have to put on guide lines. i tried doing it with out the lines but with 4 feet to 6 feet of length people will see that it is not very straight. besides that, i have to make sure that every name is spelled correctly. it would be easier with computer, paste on, but the schools and the photographer won't accept. you see i do have a challenge
thank you again for your reply Billy Bob.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !
Mike Jackson - The Rattlesnake Pit
Hi Harry,
A couple of things come to mind here after reading the second post. First, you have to get this thing exaclty right the first time, with no mistakes, or you get to do it all over, probably at your expense.

You might be able to make a pounce pattern which should rub or blow off. Not sure about that and you would want to do some tests on scrap foamboard.

Lastly, why don't you go back to the entry point of this project and suggest something like white shower board. You can use snap lines, stabillos, clean up drips and mistakes and so forth. The stuff is cheap and comes in 4 x 8 sheets.

If I were presented with the project as you have described it, the thing would be so expensive I wouldn't get the job. Everything is stacked against you....and that's assuming they gave you all the correct spellings on the lists in the first place. This one has little rattlers shaking their tails letting you know you better watch your step.

Just my perspective...not the only one, nor necessarily the right one.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson

Kent Smith
I agree with Mike. There is a foam core with plastic surfaces which allows one to use a marker or pen for lining. I use the pens suited for overhead projectors, completely washes off a sealed surface. I can't imagine doing this job economically for the customer. If the photos are 3x5, that is a lot of names, $500 worth per sheet I would guess at that rate.