Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

A New Concept for an Inspirational Magazine

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

A New Concept for an Inspirational Magazine

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Donny Pavolini on December 02, 2001
Would someone out in the void please make a publication dedicated solely to progressive design. What I mean is let the seriously cutting-edge designers the caliber of M. Jackson, Nancy and Noella, D. McDonald, D. Butler, Noel Weber, G. Anderson, B. Hueg, M. Oatis, Gary Godby,and so on and so on to really make a first class magazine that will feed the starving serious wannabees like myself who view this profession and this artform as one like no other and second to none.
I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness.Oh, can this publication if I'm not asking too much, be devoted to SIGN artisans and not Pinheads? I have a lot of respect for them but let's just stick to signs and maintain our focus of our craft.

R.S.V.P.
Raymond Chapman
All of the people you mentioned are frequently in the majority of our journals, and as Mike said, AMAL dedicates itself to really classy designs.

Most of what I would classify as "Cutting Edge" is something that I really don't desire to be a part of. To me the term refers to the most modern aspects of design, such at what appears on MTV and the other more youth oriented media. Some of the work generated by today's advertising has little appeal to me and actually violates some of the basic principles that I learned were the backbone of design.

Most of the folks you mentioned have gone back in time and revived designs that were popular many years ago. I certainly would not argue that your list includes all of my heroes and to desire to emulate them would be a lofty goal.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to clear up how I interpret the terms.

As a side note - you would certainly be welcomed and appreciated if you were to start a publication like you mentioned. Where do I send my subscription?

Billy Bob
For the "modern" stuff, check out ID, CMYK, Print, Graphis, How and Mac Design. All have lots of "cutting edge" design work. And there are probably a few other good ones that I haven't discovered yet.
Mike Jackson
Hi Donny,
It was nice to be included in that list! I don't know if you have ever opened one of the AMOL (A Magazine About Letterheads) or not, but it might be just what you are looking for! Many of the names you mentioned are in there on a regular basis.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Donny Pavolini
I sincerely appreciate the replies to my post. Raymond Chapman I want you to know that you and others should have been mentioned. I've watched and read your work for years and you're great.
I suppose the term "cutting edge" was the wrong one. Let it be known that I am aware of the nostalgic influence in the work I admire. That influence as well as the ingenius usage of all other design elements by these sign artists (and I do mean ARTISTS) constitutes what I meant by "cutting edge". Hey I'm not into sterile, corporate and just plain gross MODERN DESIGN either.

I would like these giants to share more of their minds along with the photos to enrich the overall quality of Quality Minded artists like yours truly.

And I agree, AMAL IS AWSOME, but for me there's got to be more and I want all I can get. NEED INPUT!

Thanks again for your excellent replies.Let's keep the spirit alive.

dcdpav@aol.com