Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Metalic

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

joe crumley

Metalic

Post by joe crumley »

Hello Everyone,

I'm probably behind the curve on this product but here goes. Are there artists on this forum who've used SculptNoveau surface materials? Sure could use some sage advice.

One of the products lines they offer is a water based patina that can be sprayed, rolled or brushed on most surfacess. It comes in Bronze, Copper, Silver, Brass, ets. This isn't a paint. It's a solution with metal particles, that are designed to be chemicaly activated.

My first test:

They shipped a starter kit and here's how it went. I applied the Iron Patina to HDU which I roughly surfaced with PB texture. Initially it looked like a bad coat of of dark gray latex. These material come rather thin. When dry I and misted it with their Emerald Green activator, and a wait ovenight. The result was a bright redish brown rusty surface color. This was my the first step. There are additional techniques and mateials for a more complex finish. Because this is a water based, it seems very safe and user friendly. The colors, textures, and techniques seem unlimited. I finished out wih their tan patina, buffed down and applied their black wax.
New to me and fun. Has possibilities.

I've seen their sample of bronze, with a liver of sulphur spray. Very attractive deep brown with copper color highlights. They recommend buffing to get the bronze highlights.

This is an old line company that started up making products for exterior bronze sculptures. They have workshops several times a year. sure would like to get in on one of those.

Would appreciate hearing from those with experience along this line.

Joe
www.sculptnouveau.com