Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

My can "lid test" for tack

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

joe cieslowski

My can "lid test" for tack

Post by joe cieslowski »

I've been surface gilding for close to 30 yrs but I certainly don't produce the high level of gilding I've seen here and other places.

I think I have used most every method to test for the right tack. The knuckle dragging squeak test mostly. My problem was that the test itself had a "window" and I never knew where in that window I was. I started doing a test strip on a can lid from the kitchen recycle bin. I'd apply the size....wait, then pick it up and test. Then I would just walk by and hit it with my knuckle. By doing this I now knew at what stage the tack was. If the lid lifted easily, I'd wait. When I could just get it to lift, I knew I was near the end of my window and I layed the gold. The beauty of it is that it doesn't matter what the conditions are or what size I use. I always know where I am in the window and my gilds are consistant from job to job.

I just posted this for the beginners who may be having a hard time testing for tack. I hope it helps.

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!