Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

How much, how often?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

cam bortz

How much, how often?

Post by cam bortz »

Within the last year I made a decision to change some of my work habits, specifically, to hand-letter as much as possible and/or practical. I am by no means anti-technology; I use the 'puter for 90% of my layouts and patterns - but I just never much cared for the weeding, taping, sticking, and ultimate look of vinyl. My feeling is if I'm going to work for myself, I'm going to do the kind of work I enjoy - and I love brush lettering. So with that in mind, I gear my designs toward that end, using "brush-friendly" letterstyles, etc. Vinyl is used mostly for repetitive work or for jobs that just don't make sense to letter by hand (menu boards come to mind).

The real advantage to this decision is in how I feel by the end of the day. A day spent weeding and sticking leaves me tired and cranky, whereas if I use a brush I tend to be far more relaxed and even-tempered. My partner notices the difference when she stops by on the way home (we work nearby each other, so we share th ride whenever we can), although she watches me letter and can't believe I find it relaxing or enjoyable - not that I have to explain that here.

This has me wondering - among those of us who still brush letter, how many of us conciously choose to do so, even on jobs that could admittedly be produced more quickly in vinyl? And how often? Do other brush-letterers have the same reaction of finding vinyl work tedious and irritating? To me it makes sense to work in a way that is enjoyable and satisfying, rather than make myself miserable just to "save time". And the added benefit is that all this practice is making me faster and more accurate than ever.

Comments?
Doug Fielder

Post by Doug Fielder »

Hi Cam, excellent topic.
I am still a green horn at lettering, but choose to do all my work that way. I like being in control of how long my work will last and being able to work on irregular surfaces. I do use the computer for making patterns or letterstyles that are monotonous (sp), or customer specific.
I am a traditionalist, my grandfather and father are/were both craftsmen, wood workers, artists and full of a lot more information than I can comprehend! I choose to handletter and do as much gold work as I can because I cannot do what they can/ have done, but still favor the craftsmanship of doing it by hand.
A few guys I am friends with in NJ, where I started, such as Alan Johnson, Glen Weisgerber, Bob Gamache and Joey Orbin all do their stuff by hand, almost 100%. I know Alan threw his computer out the window, and Glen did have on for a while, he decided he was going to do it all "Old School" again. Bob Gamache just got one a few years ago and does lots of handlettering styled stuff with his, but I can't say how much faster he is with it, because he was incredibly fast at lettering. Joe Orbin feels slowed down by the computer, and he works almost around the clock!
Like you said, computer lettering is boring and flat, computer cut gold leaf has no personality, however today most people want their stuff without waiting, not looking for craftsmanship, looking for instant gratification.
It's sad. Guys talk about bread and butter work being cut and stuck, then there are guys like Glen and Alan and Joey who all are FAR from needing to do "Bread and Butter" work.
Me, I have a day job as a graphic designer with benefits and steady pay, so I can afford to do my custom hand-done work for a little extra (OK, a LOT extra!).
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!
Doug Bernhardt

fun

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Cam...long time no hear your voice!....
Round here(my shop), as you know, everything is done by hand in the manner you have mentioned. As so, it is hard to compare experiences and quickly admit this was and is an intentional choice. When I began in the sign business it was because things were done as they were and would have done something else if I had to work the way we/everyone does now. I'm not anti-tech or even a Ludite for that matter...just someone doing what he likes, despite the contemorary difficulties, what he does. It is also possible that things will start to swing back to a value being placed on hand made arts...music and things in general and a future generation will benefit from the hard these earned skills, although I doubt it will be in our lifetime. It seems to me we in North America at least know the price of everything and the value of nothing.....eg Wal-marts and Home Depots.
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

This topic comes up every so often on this forum. Interesting that the "Hand-Lettering Forum" only discusses it sporadically.
I, for one, need these reminders of the uniqueness of hand-lettering. It is the essence of sign-making from which all other forms of sign-making are derivative.
Hopefully, the way the question is posed, we can steer clear of debating the pros and cons or being stifled by voices of the magisterium pragmaticus. I'm quite aware of the pragmatic aspect of technology. I need to be reminded of the tactile, immediate, fluid nature of the brush and the fact that, if you let it go dormant, you tend to lose the freshness and the spontaneity that brush-work brings to the table.
How much and how often, you ask? I have to admit that I am increasingly dependent on technology. I try to make most of my stuff look "hand crafted" but I still use the computer in almost everything I do. I rarely hand letter any more. I never was great at it to begin with. I haven't made a conscious decision like each of the previous posts here to focus on hand lettering nor have I made a conscious decision to go to technology. This has to give me pause as to why I am on the course I'm on.
Well, I have a job coming up next week that could lend itself well to using a brush and, as a result of this post, that is what I plan to do. I think I'll take a tip from you guys and be more deliberate to integrate hand lettering into my schedule so as to not drift too far from my moorings.
At the end of the day, I love what I do. Aren't we fortunate that people actually pay us money to do this?
Later . . . I'm off to Home Depot.
Si Allen

Post by Si Allen »

I don't know about conscious use o a brush or quill....but after 38 years of full time in this biz...I still don't own a plotter!

:!:
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...Mr. S has got it. Without a plotter, hand lettering is (more often) the solution to many letter challenges. When I need some stick-on letters I get 'em cut by a friendly vinyl shop. Often, I have them cut "Gerber mask" and I fill in the paint. Vinyl sucks.

...Hand lettering always was and still is the basis of our craft and industry. The stikerheads who insist they are getting rich w. vinyl (only) just don't get it. If they are making signs for the "great" money, they are in the wrong business.
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Good post Cam,

I purchased a plotter in 2000. Before that, everything was brush lettered.
I mainly wanted a dependable employee who could produce patterns.
Once I offered my customers the choice, they said they came to me for my hand lettering....
Now I did sell a few "quick" vinyl signs, but I've never been happy with that four letter f word (fonts).
In the last year, I decided to revert back to where I was before I taught myself hand lettering, playing with my calligraphy pens (thanks to the encouragement of one Jon Harl). I've taken five different workshops from as many top calligraphy instructors, one who is left handed like myself, and I have to say the changes of attitude and production just when up to a higher plane.
When a client comes to me now, I never give the option, I hardly ever pencil sketch a design. Instead I dip either the pen or the brush and render my lettering on paper for presentation. So far, I'm batting 1000
as all layouts have been excepted immediately. Also the client is so very impressed because he or she didn't know this kind of work still exists.
Sometimes, I'll scan the work and digitize, but that has dropped off some as well. 90% of this work is projected into a pattern.
I definitely have a re-energized love for the brush and have made time to take a couple watercolor workshops as well.
Let's see, between gold leaf..murals..calligraphy..watercolors..and vinyl
which don't I have time or want to make time for?

And for a little promo.....hope to see you and all the real brush officianodos out here at the end of May in 2006 for the first Walldog Event west of the Rockies (the watercolor flyer is almost finished)
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
cam bortz

Post by cam bortz »

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

As I said, I use the computer to design most of my work, and the 30" plotter to make pounce patterns. What I like about the computer is the ability to tweak a design - adjusting line spacing, kerning, etc. very quickly - then, when I'm satisfied with the image, make the pattern and letter the sign. Occasionally I will go so far as to use the computer design as a guide to drawing a pattern by hand, which allows me some level of spontanaety in what I'm producing.

As for what the customer expects, well, frankly, they expect a sign - and as the professional, I make the decision how it is produced and with what materials. I rarely if ever have a customer ask specifically for vinyl or paint, nor do I offer an option one way or another.