Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Painting on Barrels

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Dan Seese

Painting on Barrels

Post by Dan Seese »

A local brewing company has 24 wooden barrels they want to use for point of purchase displays. They would like me to paint their logo on the sides of the barrels as well as on the top.
Of course it is a rough surface and the logo will probably span one or two metal straps.
Has anyone dealt with a similar situation. I'm trying to think of a cost-effective way to do it (I'm doing one that they will pay me for and then I'll base my quote for the other 23 barrels off this first one.)
Hand lettering seems cost-prohibative - though I haven't ruled it out. Using a mask may be difficult because of the curvature of the barrel, but may be doable. I've never done screen printing on a curved surface - I would think you need a special kind of screen. (I'm not a screen printer - the only time I screen print is for gold on glass.)
I have 2 PMS colors to match but type of paint is up to me.
Any direction or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan
Doug Fielder

Post by Doug Fielder »

All I can think is that there are 2 curves working against you to screen it on there, then there is the rough surface.... I would say do 'em all by hand and make sure the paint is thick, so it won't bleed. Another idea is to shallac the barrels first which'll give you a smoother non porous surface. I am far from experienced enough to say exactly how to do it, but I have painted on raw wood a few times and these are things I've noticed.
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Doug,
Nice to see you the other day.I painted a few and the two ways I've done it was by hand and with a cardboard stencil.Around the curve you have to have someone roll it along as you paint it.I have a photo of one on the Ghosttownsigns site.On the Don Treece page scroll down to the portfolio area annd theres one we did for Rusty Pelican Restaurant.

Roderick
http://www.ghosttownsigns.com/ghosttown ... tTown.html
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Doug
Sorry go to the signs painters link,then to Don Treece then scroll down to the portfolio

Roderick
Hedley

Post by Hedley »

I have painted on cloth/material a few times and to get a base to work on I have used a PVA glue. I am no expert but would the glue applied in the shape of the overall company logo outline, give you a platform to paint on?
HEDLEY

www.freewebs.com/hedleysflutebandart
www.freewebs.com/hmba2

Look the Part - Marching Band Art
Jim Moser

Post by Jim Moser »

I don't know any better way to work on that kind of surface other than hand painting. I helps if the wood is sealed with something so the paint doesn't soak in. Even on the ends of the barrel the surface is usually not flat enough to screen print without doing a lot of touch up. How complex is the logo ? I wonder if there is some kind of semi flexible substrate that you could print on and then adhere to the barrel. I put a digital print of a logo on an old wood floor in a business entry way and then it was covered with several coats of clear. People walk on it every day and it is holding up reasonably well after 4 or 5 years...........
Life is much too important to be taken seriously
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Thanks to all for the different input here from everyone as well as the advice from Kelly Thorson in a personal email.
The brewery came by this morning and picked up the finished barrels.
What I ended up doing is using Gerber Mask for most of it. On some areas I used intermediate vinyl as a mask which actually seemed to adhere better.
I applied the mask and burnished it down to the wood paying special attention to the gaps between planks. It was most difficult on the curved areas but I was able to pounce a pattern and then apply individual mask elements where needed. The top of the barrel was fairly simple because it's not a curved surface.
Once the mask was in place I put a liberal amount of clear acrylic on the open areas. This allowed the clear to seal the areas where the paint would bleed underneath.
When that was dry I painted the color, using 100% acrylic house paint (2 coats.) That dried quickly and weeded easily. There were a few places that it bled underneath, which I touched up but by and large the clear sealed it off.
Hand lettering would have been difficult and on this quantity of barrels, time consuming. It all went quickly and came out crisp and clean. Everyone is happy.
Thanks, again.
Jim Moser

Post by Jim Moser »

PICTURES ?
Life is much too important to be taken seriously
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Jim-
Well, I didn't take any pictures (not exactly a portfolio piece.)
If I get a chance to stop by the brewery I'll take a couple of shots and them in the future.