Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Carrying case for Gold Leaf Samples

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

John Lennig

Carrying case for Gold Leaf Samples

Post by John Lennig »

I want to make a practical and convenient carrying case for 3/16" glass pieces. I'm using 8"x8" and 12"x12" sizes.
I remember something about Stephen Parrish having one, but it's just a dim memory??

If anybody has made one, or can shed some light, i'd love to hear abut it.Thanks

John
"You spelled it wrong!"
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Great idea,Keep it as light as possible.I made mine with 8"x 10" 1/8 single strengh glass so I could frame them with standard picture frames.If you don't frame or edge them they WILL get broken.There are 20 in the case so it's heavy and I use a small luggage dolly to care it around.It's a great tool to sell work but most people get overwelmed by it and you can see their eyes glaze over not knowing what to think.But for those few people that apriciate it sells it's self.if I was better at posting photos I would but I bet somebodys (like Danny)has some photos from when I brought it to a meet at John Studdens.Good luck
Roderick
William Holohan

Post by William Holohan »

In my copy of Gold Leaf techniques, 3rd edition, there is a picture of Raymond H. LeBlanc's sample case. It appears that he also used framed, single strength glass for his samples. I'm sure someone who knows how to get a picture loaded up here, can scan it and load it up. (Mike ?)
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

Thanks William, i'm looking in my 4th edition, haven't found it yet, what page in the 3rd? not in the 1st edition, tho.

guess i have to look at single thickness glass, cause weight, plus frame is a factor.

Thanks, roderick, for pics,

John
"You spelled it wrong!"
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

This type of case would work well for a presentation case. These were made for photo studios to store and transport view camera lenses.

Top and bottom were fitted with foam, and groves in the side fit the lens boards. Same could be easily made for glass samples. The top was removable for studio use. Made of finn ply birch, clear lacquer finish.

Roderick's was a good case with even better samples. Consider the weight of the pieces you plan on using. It's better to carry two smaller cases than one large. It gets heavy and is more susceptible to damage.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
William Holohan

Post by William Holohan »

Third edition.
ST Publications
Copyright 1986

On the inside of the color centerfold after page 86. There is a regular color page first, then a folded over centerfold page. I didn't realize it was folded over until about the third time I read through the book.
This is the edition with the full color illustration on the front cover. Not the plain front cover reprint.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

This photo was forwarded to me by Bill "Irish" Holohan.

I believe the kit is now in the Sign Museum.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
cam bortz

Post by cam bortz »

My own glass samples box is virtually identical to the box in Danny's post. I traded truck lettering with a cabinet maker for it.
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

while perusing posts, patiently...I realized i hadn't thanked you all who replied and posted pics of your gold sample cases. Thank you! The cloth cases are Very Cool, and if I go wood, trading with a cabinet maker will get me something to be proud of! vs. my woodbutcher efforts! :lol:

John
"You spelled it wrong!"