Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

helping out /Katrina sign aid

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

helping out /Katrina sign aid

Post by Roderick Treece »

I am sure everyone has been thinking of how they can help the people that have been affected by Katrina.Being a sign guy I thought ,what would it be like to not only lose everything I had but loose all the tools that are not replacable or would not be covered by insurance if I had it in the first place.
So I got to thinking ,Why not donate some of my sign tools that I could spare to a needy sign person.As an example I have a spare pounce machine .Some brushes I could part with etc.
I have no idea how we could find that someone that might be in need of these things ,but I know as people make their way back there and put their lives back together they will need more help and if we could help out one of our own that would be get.
Let me know what you think and some ideas on how to get it to them when the time comes.Maybe just looking in the sign mags for the shops in the area that got hit.

Roderick
www.customglasssigns.com
Bob Rochon

Post by Bob Rochon »

Rod,

That is a very noble thought and so true. Last year when Florida got hit and the storm flooded a lot of Pennsylvania, there was a sign guy who lost everything such as you mentioned. I had a few duplicates of sign books and such. I sent him my spare copy of Mastering layout, I also know of other heads that sent spare brushes and what not.

On a similar note, With Mike's permission I would like to add that I started a Letterhead Relief Fund that is just being advertised in Letterville at the monent but in no way is limited to just that. It is set up to help sign people directly. At the moment I have but a few families that do in fact need everything, with more to surface as they can get online I'm sure. If you would like I can send e-mails around and see what is needed to these families.

And if you know of other letterheads that have been effected please forward them to me @ LRF@creativesignworks.com we have a total of $450 at this moment and is slowly picking up steam.

Bob & Jennifer Bond had so graciously offered to advertise this fund in their upcoming issue.

Mike if this post is in anyway in violation of your policies please remove it and I appologize.

If not I would like to add that Donations can be made out to Robert Rochon c/o Letterhead Relief Fund and mailed to 194 North Main St. Millbury Ma. 01527 or Donations can be made to LRF@creativesignworks.com at the PayPal website, credit cards are accepted as well as checks and money orders.

Donations of tools would be great too, but before sending tools and items please send a list of what you have to donate and I can add them to a list to be sent out.

Most importantly if you know of a letterhead that needs help please forward the info to me as well.

Thank You!
"Some People's Kids"
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Bob,
I can't imagine any sort of "rules" violation in these posts. It is great that people, including yourself, are organizing this effort and hopefully everyone can help in some way. I am sure Tom at Signcraft could supply you with names of shops in the New Orleans and tri-state area. Give him a call or an email.

Best regards,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Roderick Treece

Bob,
I will put together a list soon.I just read that the are letting business owners in first so maybe there will be a shop that could use some supplies.If we order anything like paint and etc we will need to know where to send it.As for tools it would be the same thing.Keep me advised .Maybe the shops could give us a wish list.
Roderick
Roderick Treece

I just got off the phone with my suppler and they told me to send them a list of what I wanted. They will give it to us at cost.So now we need to figuire out who needs what.

Roderick