Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

blaster / chipping box update

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Felix Marcano

blaster / chipping box update

Post by Felix Marcano »

Hi everyone. Well, except for the funnel & brushes, the box is built. I turned on the lights & fan for about half an hour & the temp went up to 100F & humidity down to 40. Are we on track yet or does it have to be hotter (or dryer)?

Thanks!!!!
Work hard, party like a tourist!
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Felix,
I'd say that your within the parameters to get a chip going, I've chipped glass within that range. Now whether or not you have success will also depend on dialing in the proper deposit of glue as well as the preliminary stage of dryness of the glue layer before you place it into your drying cabinet. Glue seems to not chip if it is applied too thin(if you can see the sandblasted texture appear on the surface of the dried glue), too thick, or if the layer of glue is primarily dried too much to shrink and curl which produces the chipping action. It may take some practice to get good results regularly.
Pat
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Hi Felix,
I was thinking about you the other day.I am not sure I would want to use my chipping booth for sandblasting as well.If you want to lower the humidity you can buy those little plastic jars of "DRY OUT" dehumidifier.I have about 10 in my box and I open them up when I start to warm up my box.I notice the humidity gos down when the temp is around 120.Pats right the thickness is really important.My last batch of chipping was to thick and it took forever to chip.

Roderick