Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Early Sand Blast company

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Early Sand Blast company

Post by Mike Jackson »

A collector forwarded this image along to us. Dated 1878, it shows companies were sandblasting and decorating glass at least that far back.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Hi Mike
I seem to make out 1871 correct? I have researched that before the industrial age of steam powered and compressed air powered sandblasting, that sandblasting was done using a large fan to propell the sand against the glass. The sand was shoveled from a floor or scaffold overhead into a funnel that directed it into the fan powered air and two men would hold the glass panel to direct it into the blowing steam of sand.
Sounds really crude and backward, but this particular account mentioned that many of the workers fell victum to silicosis decease of the lung. No doubt!
I had read in another account that sandblasting action on glass was first noted in England where the action of wind driven beach sand uniformally frosted the windows on beach houses on the shore. I suppose any stray paint drops or signs affixed to a window could have inspired the first idea of using a sandblast resist for designs.
Pat
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Pat,
I am relatively certain the last numeral is an 8...1878. The artwork in the billhead is too small to see much of the details, but some of it looks pretty complicated. Throw in the possibility of them etching the round vases or pots and you'd have to be darned amazed.

I would imagine they could generate some pretty good wind power using water power, geared (or belted) to the right ratios.

Here are a couple of notes from this site:
http://inventors.about.com/library/inve ... engine.htm
James Watt was a Scottish inventor and mechanical engineer, born in Greenock, who was renowned for his improvements of the steam engine. In 1765, James Watt while working for the University of Glasgow was assigned the task of repairing a Newcomen engine, which was deemed inefficient but the best steam engine of its time. That started the inventor to work on several improvements to Newcomen's design.

Most notable was Watt's 1769 patent for a separate condenser connected to a cylinder by a valve. Unlike Newcomen's engine, Watt's design had a condenser that could be cool while the cylinder was hot. Watt's engine soon became the dominant design for all modern steam engines and helped bring about the Industrial Revolution.
Maybe someone figured out how to make an air compressor powered by a steam engine?

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons