Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Have Stabilo pencils changed?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mark Felder

Have Stabilo pencils changed?

Post by Mark Felder »

It seems that the old standby blue and white Stabilo pencils have changed their composition. They seem to be harder, perhaps to keep the points from breaking. The downside for the signpainter is that the pencils scratch many painted surfaces. I've had baked enamel aluminum and automotive finishes leave the shop with noticeable scratches.

Does anyone have any solutions?

Thanks,
Mark Felder
The Sign Shop, Gardiner, ME
mfelder@gwi.net
Ron Percell
Site Admin

Post by Ron Percell »

Hello Mark,
Stabilos are still made the same way with the same material, and this information comes from the direct source in Germany.

Maybe it's the paint that has changed this date 01.26.06.

Here's a tip for hot days , and for getting a sharp/fine tip with stabilos: place them in the freezer for 5-10 minutes
Mark Felder

Stabilo quandry

Post by Mark Felder »

Ron

I did a small test...I found some Stabilo stubs lying around the shop, they were probably 10 years old or older. They were noticeably softer and didn't scratch the test piece of red aluminum . So I do think the composition of the crayon has changed.

I think you're right, the quality of paint has changed (for the worse) and that's probably part of the problem.

Maybe I'm just getting too fussy, but I'd be curious to find out if anyone has experienced the same problem.

Mark
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Ron,
Here's another tip:
On those hot August Texas summers, don't rest a stabillo (especially red or blue) above your ear.

:)

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Hot Texas Summers? What do you know about hot, Texas summers Jackson?

We don't have any trouble with Stabilos here during the summer....we just turn up the A/C.

Only Yankees and mad dogs go outside in Texas during the summer.

Seriously, they are a problem. That is why I always used a China Marker, usually orange, because it would show up on just about any surface color except orange.

We tried keeping the Stabilos in the fridge, but as soon as you took them out for use they would melt.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Knowing it is winter, there might be a possibility your Stabillos are just cold and more brittle than you remember them from the summer?

We've had our blue ones for quite a while. I don't see any unexpected differences in them right now.

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Laura Butler

Harder to wipe off.

Post by Laura Butler »

Its funny that this topic comes up because I was just wondering if it was me or the pencils but it also seems that its harder to wipe them off. Recently I marked something (sintra I think) and I couldn't get it totally wiped off...even with Denatured alcohol.
Laura Butler
560 Oak St.
Lapeer, MI 48446
810-664-3812
David Harding

Post by David Harding »

Don't leave them on the dash of your truck in the Texas summer either. You'll have a hollow wood tube, more suited for use as a straw.

Now, we have to worry about hot Texas winters. Dallas had less than an hour of sub freezing temperature last month--the warmest January on record.

I'm using more green Vis-a-Vis markers and Pentel sign pens than Stabilos these days.
David M. Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX
www.asignx.com
Mark Yearwood

Post by Mark Yearwood »

One more tip: Don't leave them sticking out of your back pocket and jump in your new truck seats.

Maybe you have some of the Staedtler Omnichrom pencils. I just ordered "Stabilos" from Grimco and they sent those. They are a little harder but basically the same. I like them so far, but you do have to use a lighter touch on softer paints.
Rick Sacks

Post by Rick Sacks »

We've been using those felt tip water based ink pens made by Pentel in an ochre color and they show up on both dark and light colored surfaces. I think they're called "Sign Pen"
Mendocino, California
"Where the redwoods meet the Sea"