Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Signmaking 101 Roller Covers

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jack Wills

Signmaking 101 Roller Covers

Post by Jack Wills »

For making sure of a clean layer of color on MDO or laminated
aluminum panels, I prefer to use a mohair cover. I will first lay
a length of transfer tape upside down 15" size and roll over it
several times to remove as much fuzz and other debris as
possible. It also helps to wet down the area if you can. At least
with a spray bottle to mist the room a bit and hold down the
dust.
Rick Sacks

Post by Rick Sacks »

Jack, I also grew up on short nap mohair roller covers, but it's been many years since I've used one. I never liked cleaning them, and cleaning them, and cleaning them. I still have a couple of those spinners, and occassionally find one and hold it and remember stories associated with the subject.

I find that with properly reduced enamels I can obtain an excellent finnish with one of those skinny yellow foam rollers that come in the twin pack. I cna keep one for primer and one for white for quite a while in the fridge. As much as I dislike the flavor of a disposable society, the simplicity of throw away rollers often wins. When I think about how much thinner required to clean a roller, it is time consuming as well as expensive.

Do you gain from the zen of roller cleaning?
Mendocino, California
"Where the redwoods meet the Sea"