Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Rick Glawson Signs - Added 34 more pictures!

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Larry White

Rick Glawson Signs - Added 34 more pictures!

Post by Larry White »

Greetings! I decided to put up some photos that I had of Rick Glawson's work and some signs from the Fine Gold Sign Co. You can see them here:
Rick Glawson Signs.

If anyone has any they'd like to add, you could send them over to me, or contact me and I'll tell you how to add them there.

For those of you that would like to post photos on this forum, but don't have website space, you can start your own Photobucket album, then link the URL of your photo in your post, and the photo will appear in your post. ...you just keep on like you are.
Last edited by Larry White on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

Thank you, Larry, what a wonderful collection of work!
Rick's shop/store/museum/Wonderland must have been quite Magical. Fortunate all who experienced
it, along with them.

John
"You spelled it wrong!"
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Thanks for sharing that Larry-They are Stunning!-Photos do not do justice to such wonderful pieces
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Thanks Larry, for bringing back all the memories of probably the only place like that. There will never be another......It makes you remember where they were all situated throughout the shop. The early Conclaves are where most everyone that I know now first met, all eager to absorb as much knowledge as we could in those hectic weekends.......I hope this gets added to, as I never took many photos when I was there, should have though.......but we did not realize the store would be closing early.....................
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Good idea Larry, will add some later.

There were times I wanted to shoot more, thinking I'll just do it next time. Next time never came.

As John said: "we did not realize the store would be closing early.....................".

One amazing place.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
William Holohan

Post by William Holohan »

Larry,
Thanks for sharing the pics. I never had the chance to meet Rick or Lola or visit the store. All I can say is "Wow".
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Larry,
Thanks for making the page and posting the link. Hopefully other people will do similar pages of people they admire or of craftsmen they have have photos to share.

Just curious, do you know which ones Rick actually made and which ones are pieces he collected? I think there is a mixture of those two in your photos, but I could be wrong.

Take care,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Great Larry....Just loved walking back into that place again...remember that smell of varnishes when you walked in the door? What a terrific time it was!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Good to see all those signs again Larry.
Amazing how the shop used to change every year I went there. I liked Ricks idea of placing all the faceted glass pieces behind the letters on the Anheuser busch piece.
He brought that piece up to Noel's meet in 2000. Good memories!

Dave
Bob Ficucell

Post by Bob Ficucell »

Great pictures Larry, question.
Does anybody know what happened to all these signs? I know the Sign Museum got some, did the "Brothers" get them?
Bob
Raymond Chapman

Thanks

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Thanks for the memories. There will never be another like Rick...although there are many carrying on the tradition.
Robin Sharrard

Post by Robin Sharrard »

Thanks Larry, What a wonderful thing to do... Robin
Robin Sharrard
Sharrard Graphics & Signs
Fallon,Nevada
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

RXTECH,
Some of the pieces in Rick's shop were actually owned by area collectors and dealers—waiting in line to be repaired or reworked. After Rick's passing, those collectors were allowed to come in and pick them up. A few of the best pieces are reported to have gone home with the brothers. Some were sold outright and some were sold to the American Sign Museum. Kent Smith probably knows more details on how all that went, along with Danny Baronian and Pat Mackle. I was there for the funeral, but never made it back into the shop.

Without a doubt, Rick had some outstanding pieces of glass hanging on his walls. People called it the Candy Store.

For anyone that hasn't found the Rick Glawson Pages pages on TheLetterheads.com , click on either of the links highlighted

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Another good shot of Rick in front of that famous window , sorry about the qualty of the pic, No digital cameras then just my basic throw away!
Dave
Image[/img]
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Dave,
Even the lousy photos coming out of a throw away camera can be fixed or enhanced (Photoshop)

This one took about a minute to adjust.

Mike

PS, it helps if you can keep the images down to 450 pixels wide.
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
DAVE SMITH

pixels

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I wondered when you were going to answer my pixels question Mike. Just found that in your posting photo topic up top.
Thanks !- that looks alot better. I still prefer the bigger picture for size though, why is 800 pixels too big, it fits real good on my laptop for detail. Your picture looks alot better but there's something authentic about the original. I never was any good at photography!

Dave
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Dave,
When you post a photo that large, it forces the page to have to be scrolled from left to right. Though it might look fine on your desktop, the rest of the people have to deal with the issue. Most web pages limit the width to no more than 750 absolute max to fit the average screen resolution. This BB has other "used up" real estate, so a picture really needs to be less than 600 pixels wide. My camera shoots native at 4300 pixels wide. Yes, it would be a better image to look at, but it would take about six or seven scrolls to see all of it. So....please try to limit photos to 600 pixels or less!!! The modified image is 450 pixels and it does the job fairly well!

Yes, in my post about "Posting Pictures on this Site", it says:
Also, Please Note:
If you take a pic with your digital camera, the image will be between 1200 and 2400 pixels wide. That is much too large for an internet photo. To fit on this forum, you need to open your image in a program like Photopaint, Photoshop, or the software that came with your camera and crop or reduce the image to no more than 400 pixels wide to fit here. ---Please do not post the large photos here.

Thanks, M. Jackson: co-host
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Understood! Thanks

Dave
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Well I didn't realize this would be so popular, so I broke out an old photo album I have and scanned some more pictures (32 additional) and uploaded them to the Photobucket site. If people want to add more, let me know. Glad I could share this. -Larry

Rick Glawson Signs.
William Holohan

Post by William Holohan »

Larry,
Old geezer back again with a comment. Having never been to Rick's store, I really am enjoying the unintended side peeks of the supplies and equipment around some of he pics.
Any pics of the store layout showing the supply shelves and counters?

Bill "Irish" Holohan
Mark Fair

Post by Mark Fair »

Thanks Larry.
What a ride through an incredible collection!
Kent Smith

other photos

Post by Kent Smith »

I was looking over these photos again for nostalgia since March 10 is not far away. As I work on some restorations myself, I miss the phone calls all over again. Just wondering if anyone has a photo of the Zang Brewery piece that Rick made for the 1995 meet in Denver. Dad used to do work for them and I cannot find a photo in my archives of that piece.

On another note, The Brothers only took home a couple of personal pieces, some of those with the name Glawson in them. They were not interested in most of the other signs. We stayed until Fri after the funeral and I spent a lot of time in the shop with Paul, identifying many of the pieces with him and Mike Butler and setting up returning them to their owners. Mike was the collector who owned many of the pieces left there for repairs and co-owned many with Rick. What happened after that, I do not know. I made arrangements with Paul and David to have them ship the replica piece we made at the '83 meet in KC at Overby's to me but when I went back a year later, it was gone and David knew not where.
Robert Schwieger

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Rick Glawson's work is simply "INCREDIBLE". His work continues to inspire and motivate those of us who admire the beauty in this special work.

Thanks for the pix.

Robert Schwieger