Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Pictorals on glass - Saran Wrap?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kelly Thorson

Pictorals on glass - Saran Wrap?

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Can anyone tell me how this is done? I assume that you paint on the saran wrap and adhere to the back of your glass with size. Can this be used with images that are not entirely filled in and if so how?
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Try reading this page on The Original Letterheads Web Site (in the Rick Glawson section)

http://www.theletterheads.com/glawson/decalomaniac.html
Decalomaniac

I don't think I would go with Seran Wrap. Use decal sheet instead.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

If your good enough to paint a pictorial then try doing it in reverse on the glass.First do a peice forward taking notes of all the layers used and then reverse the order working from the back to the front on glass.That is true reversed painting.

Roderick
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Or...Try painting on canvas and then use the 1/3 1/3 1/3 mixture to adhere it to inside of glass. Have several pieces in high traffic areas that are still fine using this!......just in case 1/3 damar varnish 1/3 resin gel 1/3 bulletin spar or quick rubbing varnish
Ron Percell
Site Admin

Post by Ron Percell »

Kelly,
Try wax paper. Coat the wax paper with Latex paint, once dry, paint your picture.

After picture has dried, you may apply it to the glass using several different products as adhesive, Gold size(I suggest coating both surfaces) or damar varnish mixed with marine spar varish for a slow dry.

Once the painting is coated, you may apply it to the open area in your panel, making sure that it wont slide off, then wait for the adhesive to dry, once dry you should be able to peel off the wax paper from behind.

Good Luck on your project, if you've any questions you may call me at 1-800-531-3359.

Ron
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Check out SignCraft, issue 125 (July/August 2002), page 14. There are some pictures and description of a how to for painting on polyethylene and transferring to glass.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com