Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

How they made paint in 1881

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

William Holohan

How they made paint in 1881

Post by William Holohan »

Another find that I hope may interest some of the sign/paint history buffs.

The recipes are quite interesting.

Scroll around...

http://realcolorwheel.com/paint1881.htm ... %20Varnish
John Yarnell

Wow

Post by John Yarnell »

Wow that website has got a lot of information on color and how to mix it. Someone has spent a lot of time gathering all that information.

Thanks
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I had a good read also, and saved the pages to boot! Thanx for the heads up
William Holohan

Post by William Holohan »

I found it when doing a search for info on Brunswick Black mentioned in Callinghams book. I am building up a nice collection of early signwriting and lettering books. An enourmous amount of arcane language to decipher...So I search the web a lot. Glad you found the site interesting/helpful.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Is not Brunswick Black just another name for asphaltum?....as is bitumen. I've noticed these "discrepancies" many times...especially while reading old formulas or concoctions for paint in art supplies. All the same an interesting find. Rick Glawson had many such books.
Last edited by Doug Bernhardt on Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

I tried to locate Brunswick Black because it was mentioned in many embossers books including Duthies book, Decorative Glass Processes, the title of which I chose to name my business after in 1980.
I located some in London and found it not to be worth a ....
Pat