Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

metallic powders added to clears

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Matt Lamborn

metallic powders added to clears

Post by Matt Lamborn »

Has onyone mixed dry metallic powders to clear lettering paint for shadowing or highlighting effects? If so...tell us what and how. I have tried this with Super Gloss Tinting Clear, Sign Restoring Clear, and UV Clear. Found that the UV clear is somewhat a little "brittle" and tends to chip a bit when not applied directly over an existing color but had great luck w/ the others. Thanx!!
Nahum 1:7
Matt Lamborn
Ashland, Ohio
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...I have mixed "bronzing powder" w. clears for reverse on glass work, w. very good results. It can be applyed heavy, or in multi layers for an opaque look. And in a thin coat it can be backed up w. 12k- 23k gold or aluminum foil for a more reflective, brilliant look.
One shot makes metallic paint in various colors that are great looking and perhaps more appropriate for surface work. Like "regular" OS gold, when using this paint, any brush strokes can really show and look not-so-good. But you can avoid this by spraying it w. an airbrush or "stipple" it on instead.
Using most any clear that will be exposed to ultraviolet rays can be disastrous, so be careful w. what you mix the powders with.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Matt,

No suggestions for the carrier, but stay away from bronzing powders for anything used outdoors. Paint products containing bronzing powders will tarnish and darken outdoors, same with 1 shot with the possible exception of silver.

In place of bronzing powders, use mica powders. They come in a wide range of colors, can be mixed with any media, and will not tarnish. Mice powders can be found at Sepp Leaf, or Douglas & Sturgess in SF, CA.

Also check out Ronan Aqua Leaf. The display samples were the best metalics I've seen, and rated for interior or exterior use.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Matt Lamborn

Post by Matt Lamborn »

Thanks Billy Bob & Danny... :wink: Easy Leaf Products has a very wide veriety of colored powders avail too. I like the Aqua Leaf as well.
Nahum 1:7
Matt Lamborn
Ashland, Ohio
Laura Butler

Post by Laura Butler »

Matt,
I bought Sepp's Mica Powders Sample kit. It has any of the earth tone or metal colors you could want. Thanks to Kelly T. for telling me this, but I then went to the scrapbook section of a hobby store and bought other mica powders in green's, blues, maroons. One color I can't find is RED. Still looking for that one.
Laura Butler
560 Oak St.
Lapeer, MI 48446
810-664-3812
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

There is an interesting link on a restoration site that explains mica powders and how they are different from metallic powders as well as how to use them. Mica Information
*edited to stay more or less on track
Last edited by Kelly Thorson on Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

To keep in context: metallic powders added to clears: "Has any one mixed dry metallic powders to clear lettering paint" specifically deals with surface blending flourishes for antique carriage restoration.

Bronzing and mica powders have been discussed before, a forum search resulted in pages of links. Bronzing powders, made of brass, copper and tin will turn and oxidize outdoors reglardless of what clear is used. Mica will not discolor and is the ingredient for all metallics and pearlessents used in the auto industry due to it's stability.

Traditional scroll work and wagon striping was accomplished through brush work. Additions to the original, as sculpting would diminish the intent, and value of the original work.

If there is an interest in sculpting, a new thread under it's own heading could address those techniques. Use of any product such as magic smooth used as an add on feature or adhesive should be used with the understanding that like all epoxy products, outdoor applications get brittle at low temperatures and subject to failure. Information is listed on the manufactures website, Wesco Enterprises, Rancho Cordova, CA, or dealers such as Douglas Sturgess, and Tap Plastics.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Doug Fielder

Post by Doug Fielder »

One more way of doing it....

I have done quite a few restoration striping jobs on antique Harleys and other bikes and found it was best striping first in Immitation Gold 1-Shot then after about an hour come back with a felt pad and your mica/bronze/etc... and pounce it on top and you will get a brilliant gold look, instead of the "gold paint" look. I have even burnished it to be almost like a mirror!
Quick and easy.
Good Luck.
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!