Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Revised Material Question

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Hedley

Revised Material Question

Post by Hedley »

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear when I posed this problem originally and Thanx to Mike for putting me right on this.
What I am doing is painting a crest on to cloth. And to begin with I prepared the cloth by building up a base on it and unto which to paint. This I did by applying PVA (waterbased glue) onto the area to be painted . I then re coated this with acrylic paint so that when everything was dry I had a surface on the cloth on which I could paint the crest. I hope this makes more sense than the last time. Now when I came to the edge of my base where it meets the cloth and was applying one shot by brush the one shot seeped over the edge and bled into the cloth. I suppose what I am looking for is some kind of barrier that would prevent this bleeding. HELP.
Make sense??
HEDLEY

www.freewebs.com/hedleysflutebandart
www.freewebs.com/hmba2

Look the Part - Marching Band Art
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

oh it makes sense alright and I didn't reply earlier as I would never take this approach in the first place....and don't have an answer for you from where you're already at. By pva glue, you used Titebond? I would have started by silk screening the whole thing....or at least the first 2 colours. So from here all I could say is....good luck and hope it works out.
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

Try spraying the fabric with HAIRSPRAY before painting it. This works to keep 'sharpies" from bleeding.
Hedley

Post by Hedley »

Doug Bernhardt wrote:oh it makes sense alright and I didn't reply earlier as I would never take this approach in the first place....and don't have an answer for you from where you're already at. By pva glue, you used Titebond? I would have started by silk screening the whole thing....or at least the first 2 colours. So from here all I could say is....good luck and hope it works out.
Thanx Doug for the response. I assume PVA and Titebond are basically yhe same thing only called different on 2 sided of the atlantic. As I am a novice at this - HOW would you 'silk screen' the whole thing. All answers gratefully received.
HEDLEY

www.freewebs.com/hmba2

Hedley

Post by Hedley »

Billy Bob wrote:Try spraying the fabric with HAIRSPRAY before painting it. This works to keep 'sharpies" from bleeding.
Interesting idea Billy Bob and thanx for the help. Will the hairspray be visible at all on the cloth that is left untouched?
HEDLEY

www.freewebs.com/hmba2

Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Silk screening is way too big a topic for this and maybe someone else can point our man here to some good reading material and help.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

A long time ago, I was told to "mist" or wet a muslin banner before trying to letter on it. I never did it, mainly because I never wanted to letter on muslin, but maybe the concept would come in handy on this project. You could wet the raw section with an atomizer, then wipe off any buildup on the prepared area, then paint up the wet edges. Of course, I would try this on a test piece or two before actually trying it on a finished piece.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons