Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Endeavour to Persevere...(it's done)

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Larry White

Endeavour to Persevere...(it's done)

Post by Larry White »

I made one of these special "Endeavour to Persevere" signs for my good friend Mr. Dickinson.
Well, I wanted him to have it. It was a present. But after I thought about it for a long time, I decided I needed one for myself. But rather than the measly 54" long version, I decided to make mine 94". I'm going to do mine a bit defferent than how I made Mr. Dickinson's. Crossed my mind to share the step with ya. Some of these techniques are a bit experimental (for me), but I think they should work. I'll update this post as I go...success, or failure.

This piece was an inspiration to take down to Mr. Dickinson's at the last Memorial Conclave, so there was no time to waste. I whipped out my trusty Centennial Collection CD I got from Mike Jackson, and pieced together this art. (You would be unable to see the detail if I showed the whole thing, so here's a section.)

Do you like to weed? Only took about 4 hours to weed this badboy! Good thing I was doing it on a Mental Health day, otherwise, I might have got a bit grumpy. Those buffalo ribs we had for lunch helped a lot! So what you see weeded here is going to be slightly depth carved via sandblasting with my extra-fine 220 aluminum oxide. ...Time to get dusty... well, maybe after a nice sushi lunch!

Here's a detail of the light sandcarving. ...sushi was good...

Now comes the one of the steps that I have never done before. I am proceeding to do a Lead Nitrate deposition into the sandcarved portions, leaving the sandblast mask on the glass.

Here it is during the deposition process.

Now it's done. The deposition worked over the mask. The mask stayed adhered to the glass. Success #1!

Next, the lead deposition is coated with asphaltum. I sprayed the asphaltum, which goes down into the sandcarving better than brushing.

Next, was to weed out the detail portion of the border design...another 3 hours. It wasn't so bad, in the newly renovated Green Door Saloon, which is now an art studio. Watched, "A Town Called *ell" while I weeded. Now onto silvering...

Here it is during the silver deposition process.

This is the resulting silver deposition revealed as the solutions are drained off into the collection tub.

The back of the silver is now coated with the same spray applied asphaltum varnish.

Here it is from the front.

Here's a detail of the lead deposition over the sandcarving with the design detail done in silver mirror. So far, so good!

So now I peeled out the letter centers, and with some white vinyl applied to the front, I airbrushed a transparent blue glaze fade to the tops of the letters. The glaze is tinted shellac. After the glaze dried, I coated the rest of the letter with a light mist of clear shellac.

I proceeded to apply a liberal coat of 50/50 mixture of WW Window Spar varnish and Damar varnish. I then sprinkled it with a mix of glass glitter, silver flitters, and a product from Michael's Craft Store called Diamond Dust (which looks like a very sparkley white glass smalt). I shake it over the area with one of those shaker jars they have the red peppers in at the pizza place. I tip it up and shake off the loose, then reapply and let dry.

The excess glitter is dusted off, sealed with a coat of shellac, then backed with metalic silver spray paint.

Here is the glitter letter center with airbrushed fade from the front.

On Mr. Dickinson's sign, I hand painted a stop line for the drop shaddow and had proceeded accordingly with this piece. I then realized I could continue with my peel and finish technique for the drop shaddow, and paint the outline last. So I created a pounce pattern of the drop shaddow and pounced it over the existing vinyl and hand cut it out. It would've been easier to have it already cut out by the computer, but now I can at least continue as though it had been. What I'll do is peel out all of a particular plane of the letter shaddow, gold size them, then apply a mica powder. I'm going to try spraying on the gold size. Then I'll peel the next section of the drop shaddow, and repeat. I will do a blended mica powder on the curved areas at the end.

Here, the bottom sections of the letter shade have been weeded and OneShot gold size applied with my airbrush. I added about 25% Naptha as thinner to get the size to flow through the airbrush.

After letting the size set-up for a bit over an hour, I pounced on Nu-Antique Silver mica powder, using Rick Glawson's trick of using a baby sock for a pounce bag. Slicker than a heel hound! Now I'll weed the next section and do the same, but with a different tone of mica powder.

Here it is from the front after the second tone of mica powder was applied. The vertical sides of the drop shaddow are done in Hi-Lite Super Gold. This second application was also applied right over the first, and the next one will be done over these two.

It took 4 sessions of applying the various sections of the drop shaddow on the letters. Here it is from the front after it's all done. The background mask is still on the glass. This will be removed, and an outline will be painted around the drop shaddow. Then the background will be applied. With this technique, the outline could also be part of the computer cut mask, but I'm going to just hand paint it in.

Here's a detail of the drop shaddow done in mica powders.

Here's a close up of the letter "R".

The mica powder is now backed up with white spray paint. Then the remaining mask is removed.

I then outlined the letters with the dropshadow in black. This could have been part of the mask, peeled out and blocked in prior to the removal of the background mask, but since I didn't do that, I had to outline it by hand.

Here it is from the front...

...and here's a close up. I'll clean up the outline a bit, shellac the whole thing, then I'll be ready to do the background. Aho!

Well, My lovely wife, Karen, came up to Machine to join me for lunch and saw the unfinished "Endeavour" sign in the Green Door Studio in which she said, "You haven't finished that yet?" I told her I was still undecided on the background. As a lot of you know, the background can make, or break, your piece. I debated doing a marble panel, or a blended color panel, or one of Rodderick's crackle panels.... which lead into the thought of smalt background ... like I said, I was undecided. Karen said she thought I should do a white background, pearl white. Sounded like a good idea to me. (I painted the outer portion of glass that was clear, with a gray color, backing up the entire border design as well.)

Rather than simply painting the backgound white, I decied to do a recessed background panel. So I fabricated this backing board.

I cut the wood at a 45 degree angle to give a beveled edge to the recess. The corners align with the inside corners of the border design on the glass.

I then primed the raw wood with Krylon spray primer and gave it a few passes with the steel wool.

After which, I spray painted a base coat of white enamel, followed by a coat of white pearl laquer.

I then built up a frame from some of my rustic 2x4's.

Now, I'm really Jonesin' to put this thing together, but I gotta let the paint dry. The first thing a glass artist needs to learn is to take things easy. So, I'll go do something else and put this together and hang it up tomorrow! ...Don't worry I'll post a picture!

Well, I got it framed up this morning. The pearl white backgournd came out nice.

Got it hung up too! Only way to handle it!

Here's a shot from the office landing.

And now a constant reminder to Endeavour to Persevere... now what should I do....
Last edited by Larry White on Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Looks to be another fine looking sign from the town of Machine.
Keep um coming Mr Blake

Mr Smith
Steven Vigeant

Post by Steven Vigeant »

Mr Blake,
I'm going to be the Stupid First Western Man who asks.
What's a lead nitrate depostion?
What effect does it deposit?
Vidge
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Looks like another interesting project to follow Mr. Blake.

94 inches :?: Do they really make glass that long, or did ya just glue two together :?: :lol:
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

RB- Hartung Glass has stock sheets of 1/4" glass, 168" x 130", so we could go bigger next time. :D

SV- Lead Nitrate is also refered to as "blue mirror" or "Galena Mirror" by Angel Gilding.com. It has a deepish blue cast to it. When done over sandcarving it goes a bit matte, but it still has a metalic quality to it. :wink:

-WB
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Sweet effect Larry. I sure appreciate your step by steps....Thanks.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Sarah King

Post by Sarah King »

Larry - Amazing as always. I can just imagine a bunch of guys a hundred years from now having big discussions about how you did that. Eat your heart out, Rawson and Evans.

But in the here and now I was wondering what brand of mask you use. Galena or lead nitrate mirror will lift paint mask but I discovered that Butter Cut vinyl works beautifully as a mask for copper mirroring - a perfect clean edge with no lifting. Is that what you used?

And thanks for the link - always appreciated.
Sarah King
AngelGilding.com
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Hi Sarah-
I use this 4 mil Sandblast Resist vinyl from Venture Tape. They also have a product called acid resist mask, but I don't believe it comes big enough for my use (they have stained glass supplies too). This whole project is basically a "peel and apply" experiment. This is a bit of a different approach from what I typically do. I was interested to see if my solution gilding over the vinyl mask would work, and it did. I will keep peeling off areas of the mask and doing my treatments, until I peel the last background portion and block in the background color. ... Gotta do real work today :x
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Updated 3-14-07. :D
Steven Vigeant

Post by Steven Vigeant »

Larry,
You are one complicated individual.
Thanks for the further update. Michael's Esoteric Sign Supplies? I'm pretty sure they have a lifetime guarantee on the Diamond Dust.
You left on the mask through the whole border processing because... otherwise you'd have to trap it with a hand done backup to get that effect? Or forget screening it! Can you solution plate over a backed up portion? Am I getting that there is no other way to butt up two angel gilds to each other?

Memo to the world: If you read this how-to a couple of times comprehension may begin to seep in under the mask.

Steve
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

SV- If all the mask was removed, I still could have done the lead deposition in the sandcarving, probably backing it up with a brush, then I would have to razor blade the excess asphaltum from the high points (smooth glass), then chemically remove the excess lead deposit. With the mask on, the lead only goes where I want it, same with the silver. As you can see in the photo, the silver deposits right onto the asphaltum backup. From what Rick had told me, it is possible to do all your fancy inscription and lettering first, outline it with asphaltum, then block it all in so it's entirely covered with asphaltum, then silver the whole piece (for inscriptions against a mirror background).

Screening it? ...we don't need no stinkin' squeegees!

Only way to handle it?

There's always another way...just depends on how clever you are. Right Boss?

-WB
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Simply amazing....as always.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Updated 3-19-07. :D
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Mr. Blake, let us know the details on what the mixture ratios are for whatever you use with the "gold size" to get it to spray well. TNX-
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Updated 3-22-07.
Robert Schwieger

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Larry,

Simply "Beautiful" work, as usual.

I am curious about the flitter/glitter. Years ago I tried this and discovered that the glitter tarnished badly. Does the shellac you used seal and prevent future tarnish?

Thanks and continue to amaw us with your talent.

Bob
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

IBob-
I haven't really noticed any tarnishing of the glitters. Typically it's applied in smaller areas. I usually surface gild some aluminum leaf over the back of it, then back that up with back-up paint. If it does tarnish...it just adds some character.

-Larry
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

you're a real bushwhacker, ain't ya, Larry White?!
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Updated 3-27-07. :D
Larry White

Oh Mr. Choo Choo...

Post by Larry White »

You probably thought I forgot about this project. Well, I didn't. I've looked at it everyday with the intensions of working on it. I finally did. A bit of life slowing the wheels of productivity... although I did get a chance to erect the Makah village here in Machine... and the coffin makers shop... and a few other signs... I'll try to finish this thing up! Thanks for checking back in.

-WB
Larry White

Finally decided on a background...

Post by Larry White »

Gotta get this off my list of things to do....

I'll finish it tomorrow!

-WB
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

people go around wastin' days and weeks and years...

'til all of a sudden there's only thirty seconds to go.

happens to everyone, sooner or later.

Did I ever tell you the story 'bout the little birdy?
My grandpa use tell it to me.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Yah...ya did...but I only remember the moral of your little story,...."when you're up to your nose in sh*t, keep your mouth shut!"
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Now it's done. :D
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Do you only know how to play?
Or do you know how to work, too?

White's Trading Post.
Dead Men get inspired there.
Glass is infected.
Glue Chipped.
Acid Etching.

We need a sushi boat!
Aho.
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Another great step by step!
I know that it takes a fair amount of effort to follow through on documenting something like this. Thanks muchly for sharing it with us.
I hope to get to see it in real!
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Dennis Davis

Post by Dennis Davis »

-WB...

I'm surprised that the folks in Machine wouldn't loan you a bubble level so you could hang it straight. Ahh, maybe it is straight and the picture angle skews it off a bit. Excellent piece. I thoroughly enjoyed the tutorial as you worked through the project. Ya gonna do something like that the next time you are in Boise? We could only hope.

Dennis

Boise, Idaho
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Dennis...

Improvement makes straight roads.
But the crooked roads without improvement
are roads of genius.

Sally
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Well put Sally...

Dennis, the sign is straight, it's the building that's crooked. ...SWM

Decided to test out my BBQ, havin' a little mental health lunch today.

...I always eat alone!

Only way to handle it!

-Mr. Black
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

you bring a slab for me?