Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Looking for info on...........

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Ray Smith

Looking for info on...........

Post by Ray Smith »

Several things actually:

Information on a sign artist named C.J.Stolber who lived and worked in Toledo Ohio in the 1920's and 1930's. I recently acquired his old sign kit.

Information on Devoe and Raynolds brushes.

Information on RUBICO;a company that made or distributed brushes;gilder's tips in particular.

Information on a Mountain Varnish and Color Works Co. Based in Toledo Ohio,New York and Chicago Illinois.

Information on Yarder Mfg. Co. Toledo Ohio;a maker of paint boxes.

I've tried searching on the 'net and so far have only come up with a small amount of info on Devoe and Raynolds(now Devoe Coatings).It was started in 1754! Also Yarder Mfg. is apparently still in business.I have requests in to them for info.

A long story short: I acquired an old sign kit with a LOT of Mack sword stripers,broad liners,and Grumbacher round liners in incredibly good condition;about 50 brushes total.Almost all seem to be serviceable.I've cleaned a dozen or so and tried using several and they work very well. Am trying to gather information for an upcoming magazine article so any information will be appreciated and credited.Thanks in advance.
Sincerely
Ray Smith
caption55@yahoo.com
Mailing address and phone number on request.
"May you be in a half hour before the devil knows you're dead"
Ray Smith

Post by Ray Smith »

Was hoping to find some info but I guess not. I did find that the man's name was Carl Stoiber(not Stolber)and he is listed in a 1937 Toledo business directory as a striper.No info on the paint or brushes as yet.
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...Try calling Toledo residents with that (very distinct) last name. Perhaps he was somebodys grandfather...
Dennis Davis

Name search

Post by Dennis Davis »

Ray,

I did a quick search on www.switchboard.com and it listed three Carl Stoiber's in Toledo, Ohio; ages were, 33, 33, and 44.

Edited to add: I did a search by last name only at www.dexonline.com and it listed 10 or 11 people in or around the Toledo area.

Good luck in your search.

Dennis in Boise
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
Sarah King

Post by Sarah King »

For information on Mountain Varnish, I suggest you contact the Chicago Historical Soceity at http://www.chicagohs.org/research/resou ... chitecture. You could ask them to start with a directory called Industrial Chicago, The Building Interests published between 1891 and 1896. Its a chatty book that described businesses as well as listing them. The folks at CHS have always been very helpful - if not all that speedy.

Looking up this kind of information is the primary job of any historical society and most cities have very good ones.
Sarah King
AngelGilding.com
Ray Smith

Post by Ray Smith »

Thanks to all for the input. The gentleman I got the kit from was the grandson of Mr.Stoiber.We were talking last week and he brought me an old sepia print showing his grandfather along with his two brothers and his great-grandfather next to an early 20's automobile.It is unfortunately the only picture known to exist of Mr. Stoiber.I am currently having a friend of mine digitally enhance the image to clean it up a bit. He is going to speak with his mother to try and get some information but it doesn't look too promising as she is in her 80's and is suffering from Alzheimer's.

I spoke with Keith Knecht awhile back and he found a reference to Carl Stoiber in a 1937 Toledo city directory he owns.He was listed as a sign artist and pinstriper.

Will try to update this again in the future.Thanks again to all who responded.

Ray Smith