Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

sand blasted glass

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jerry Berg

sand blasted glass

Post by Jerry Berg »

Hello All,
Looks like I'm the newest member! Anyway, got a question. I've been doing sand blasted signs now for some time and have always wanted to do sand blasted glass. Never had a call on it and have been too busy trying to keep my head above water. I've recently had 3 calls for sand blasted glass. I need a quick crash course here. Here are some of my questions: #1 - Can I blast on any glass?
#2 - types of sand
#3 - nozzles & tips
#4 - air pressure
#5 - most appropiate blasting mask
also: my set-up for blasting redwood is a permanent fixture, 100 gallon compressor tank, Heavy duty hose,
can't be moved. I need something portable as these jobs are on site. I do have a 2hp , 6-1/2 gallon
compressor, is this sufficient? What else will I need? I'm near the portland, oregon area. Is there an
outlet to pick up the things I will need? Any and all tips will be very much appreciated!

Thank you,
Jerry
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Well, I thought I might get some help here. Oh well. Any way, I ended up finding someone outside the US on my own search who was more than helpfull. Well known and extremely talented, great guy who gave me some of his precious time and much appreciated input, enough for me to get going on this. Looks like I made a friend as well.

Thanks anyway - maybe next time?
Jerry
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Jerry,

most of those on the forum are working and don't log on every day. Unfortunately some posts are never responded to, but I wouldn't expect an immediate answer.

Sounds like you have the information you need, but just in case here's some more:

Blast on any glass? Your experience on blasting on signs should dictate what you can do. You can blast on any thickness, but I wouldn't do any depth carving on anything below 3/16. Tempered glass can only be frosted, depth carving will result in thousands of tiny pieces.

Sand - depends on the look you want on the glass - nice etch - 200 grit, medium 120, coarse 60.

Nozzles: short term, less expensive - ceramic, long term carbide. For the equipment you have use a 1/8" tip. Larger tip takes more air. The more you have to blast and the larger the tip, the faster you'll empty the tank.

Air pressure - you're already blasting glass, what's the matter with the pressure you currently use? Using a pressure pot my main regulator is set for 80 psi, pressure at the nozzel about 40... but your set up is totally different. Start low and adjust up. Do a test in the shop.

Mask - for frosting and light depth carving calendared or extruded vinyl works fine. For anything more, purchase mask material specifically made for sandblasting. What are you currrently using, is it sufficient?

A 2 hp 6 gal tank would be good for frosting small areas only. There is a unit out that is made for on site work, check with someone that carries sand blast equipment and supplies.

You don't describe what you're doing other than sandblasting glass. Is it for frosting a logo on a door, or frosting the whole door? I wouldn't do either. Most that do this type of work would measure the glass, have a glass company supply the glass delivered to their shop, blast it and have the glass company take out the old and install the new.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Rich Hawthorne

Post by Rich Hawthorne »

Jerry - I see you have found the information to proceed upon. If you need more, I am in your area and blast a lot of glass - but not signs. Give a yell if you have more questions.

Best

Rich Hawthorne
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Another thought for on site work. If you absolutely, positively, must do the work on location, depending upon the complexity and the desired effect, I have used the EtchMark cream on location with good results. Good masking and a good rinse capability, yields a great effect without needing much equipment on site.