Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Cutting the Phone Cord?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Cutting the Phone Cord?

Post by Mike Jackson »

Each month, I write out several checks for our phone bills. Of course, most of us now have cell phones, but it seems there might be a lot of overlap in costs.

I was curious if anyone here has closed all their land lines and are 100% cellular? Just thinking out loud, it seems that decision would cause some problems...

With our land lines, we have extensions all over the house and shop. We can put many of them on hold while we page another person or go to a different room. With a cell phone, you'd have to physically take the phone to the other person or carry it to the other room...and that is assuming you get good service in every room or basement.

We have a fax machine tied to one phone line (our regular personal line) and we have a toll free number forwarded to our business line. That one rings with a different tone. I don't know how we'd function without those two lines.

When we go on vacation or out of town, we have the option to have the recorder pickup the calls or forward them to us on the road. With a cell phone, that wouldn't be a concern since we'd automatically get the call.

Of all the savings, I believe I could eliminate some of the long distance plans on our land line and use the cell phone for most long distance calls.

Lastly, a friend of ours had a birthday party for their 18 year old. She tried to call all her son's kids, but couldn't do that because they all have cell phones and not listed in the phone books. To advertise or be included in some of the phone directories, you almost have to have a land line....right? We tried to call one of our customers a few days ago and got some messages saying their number is no longer in service. Now how do we contact them if we don't know their cell numbers?

I am interested in hearing from anyone that has switched to 100% cell phone service. If we didn't have a business, I might see how people could cut the cord, but not yet!

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
noelbweber

Post by noelbweber »

Hi Mike
We have eliminated our land lines at home. Its been about six months, havn't noticed any inconvience. Of course we still have the same shop numbers, fax numbers etc. I honestly think it has added to our privacy. When we get a call now on a cell.Its either family or friends.
Watch out for sharp objects.
Noel
Noel B. Weber
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Noel B,
I think we would consider turning off the home line, but we use that line as our fax number. I could probably change it over to the other business line, but I'd have to dig through a bunch of web pages to make that change. I will have to think about that option a little and also see how much that line is costing us each month. We all really get nailed by all the add on fees on each bill each month.

Yep, I just returned from the doctor's office. I see I got four stitches the other day. I guess if you drive a car long enough, you will get a flat tire. Work with blades long enough and you get a cut! :)

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons