Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glass gold sealer

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robert Schwieger

Glass gold sealer

Post by Robert Schwieger »

With information bouncing around regarding blistering and other failures of gold on glass I am wondering what IS the recomended final clear sealer. Years ago I was advised ( and used) DuPont DUCO Clear Automotive for the final sealer. It held up well but unfortunately it is no longer available. Your kind assistance is appreciated. Thank you. Bob
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Bob, I am of the opinion that there is no good varnish available for this purpose & has not been for years. I have not varnished a window job in years & with the good resins & hardeners in Back Up Enamel it is not really needed, it also cheapens the job making it look more like a "Transfer" of some sort. What is needed is education for window cleaners who insist on attacking Gold jobs with squeegees & abrasive cleaners, when all they really need is an occasional wipe with a damp cloth. The varnish is always the first thing to Go, taking the edges with it eventually. Make some miniature window cleaning instructions & "No Squeegee"
vinyl stickers to place on the back of the finished job, & have a word with the cleaning crew if possible......hope this helps.
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Agreed....I would add that a nice job I did several years ago is in it's last days for all the reasons John has mentioned. It was also soaking wet all winter from the humidity and condensation a Canadian winter can bring. The first thing to go was the varnish (Window Spar) and the outlines which did look like a decal, hydrated and took on a foggy appearance. I'm not actually sure what constitutes window spar (www) but I have seen white water Spar advertised from a local (and well recommended) company. I also have to add that I have glass pieces that are 15years old and still fine as they have been free of interference via window washers and their lot. I would concider putting another piece of glass behind anything I do nowadays.
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

Hi Doug.......do you mean like a sandwich....but wouldn't that create a condensation matters.......... or like a thermal pane? I agree with the "decal" look.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I'm not exactly sure how this older piece of mine (Courtyard Restaurant) was done. A peek would reveal and am willing to be it was standing off the back with a silcone bead in between. Next time I'm uptown I'll make it a point to look.