Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Steel wool and black outlines

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robert Schwieger

Steel wool and black outlines

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Previous entries indicated that back-up black enamel plus 5% hardener when used as the black outlines prior to gilding (on glass) was burnished down with #0000 steel wool (to soften the edges prior to gilding and thus avoid the "bridge" which refused the gold). This assumes that the black was applied after a computer or handcut mask was used. Am I reading this correctly? I have discovered that brushing (quill) or screen printing the black does not create the bridge problem mentioned above but the cut masks do have their own advantage (accuracy etc.)

Excuse my reliance on your expert advice but it helps the learning curve for those of us out of the loop for many years and supports the idea behind this forum.

Thank you.

Bob
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Bob, I do not use masks for outlines, but that would create a "step" that would need flattening.
I usually screen the outlines & sometimes use synthetic coating varnish for matte centers, that does need to be rubbed to give a flat appearance after overnight drying.
Screening or hand painting does not really need to be flattened in this way as it does not have a "square edge". Add a couple of drops of IVORY washing up liquid to tour water size to pull the Gold to the line, hope this helps.......................We clean the excess off these days with a John Jordan brush & a damp cloth, that will not break down the lines like Bon Ami which should only be used to clean windows.............
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California