Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Compressor system

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robert Schwieger

Compressor system

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Having used an airbrush and aluminum oxide for etching glass prior to glue chipping I would like to graduate to a less labor intensive and more reliable system. Since I am not interested in descaling ships this needs to be a practical compressor that provides air supply that is consistent, fits into a small area and would be used for glass work only. What are the minimum requirements? Since I am on a fixed income, cost needs to be considered. What PSI beyond 40 psi is necessary?

Thanks for the help and advice.

Bob
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

I started out using a standard Sears 110V tank style compressor, 1 hp I think, and one of those Sears siphon feed sandblast guns. That set up worked decent for frosting glass for glue chipping. It's not quite as nice as using a pressure pot. I would suggest just using some regular sand, as it is way cheaper than any other blasting medium. I was frosting the glass at about 40 psi as I recall. Do a test first to ensure your mask will withstand the blast medium. It would be best if you had a sandblast cabinet or tent to contain the sand. I bet you could set something like that up for a couple hundred bucks max.

-Larry
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I use a hydrovane Robert. Instant power and pressure so powerful never lets me down. You can pick up cheap second hand machines on the market .

http://www.jjp.co.uk/products/air-compr ... series.htm

Just a thought.
Dave
Kent Smith

compressor

Post by Kent Smith »

I used a 120V @ 16 amp, 1 hp unit for years with good success, 35 to 40 PSI. What I also have that made it work is a good pressure pot (holds 50 lb. of sand) with a small orifice tip which helps to maintain pressure. Using that with 70 grit, a great effect is possible. For not much more money I now have a 6hp, 230V @ 30 amp, vertical tank which will maintain 120PSI at 9 to 11 CFM's. The key for sand is the CFM's not PSI which should be around 9CFM. Using smaller tips, helps a small compressor maintain a higher (although false) CFM.