Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Langnickel Nocturna Brushes...

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jerry Berg

Langnickel Nocturna Brushes...

Post by Jerry Berg »

Just wondering if anyone besides myself have used and like the Langnickel Nocturna brushes. When they first came out, sometime before Langnickel closed up, A freind told me to try them and that I would like them. I bought a few and have them to this day and they have lost very few if any hairs after very many hours of use. They keep thier snap and work great for me. Anyway, I contacted a supplier I used to go through years ago where I used to live and they have an ample supply of them still. I just ordered quite a few and am excited. They have thier regular lettering quills, Thier script series brushes ( used for striping details and small fancy scroll work), thier long stoke ( long hair flat), water size brushes and more. Lots of sizes to chose from. Maybe you've never used them or you have and did'nt like them, I don't know. I was hooked from the first use myself. Just wondering your thoughts on the nocturna.
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...for years Nocturna was my fave water based use brush. Until I bought some MACK (2962) tan-brown handle h2o brushes. Their hair is a little less-long, and has more 'snap' (which I prefer).
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

I liked the first Nocturnas I had as they were made in the Abe Langnickel tradition. I since have found any brush I want at Mack and I like the owners too, they deserve the support so they will still make the brushes we need.
Pierre Tardif

Post by Pierre Tardif »

Liked the Nocturna too but like Ken said; Mack is manufacturing some really good ones like the 2962 that I uses most of the time with any kind paint and they are nice people supporting letterheads!. Don't see a lot of difference in the snap between the two, thaugh.
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

These brushes I'm talking about are the old ones found in the basement by one of the employees, that's why I was happy to be able to aquire them. I was'nt aware that mac was offering quality lettering quills though. I'll definatly give them a try as well. I never did like macs striping brushes though but it has been quite a few years since I have tried them. I kind of got hooked on the langnickels stripers with the longer handle. I never did develope the feel for those short handles. I still have many langnickle striping brushes and they are still holding up great. I take care for my brushes very carefully. Thanks for the info on the macs.
Kent Smith

mack

Post by Kent Smith »

Jerry, Mack now has a long handle too and many other special striping as well as lettering...check mackbrush.com although their complete catalogue has more.
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

I just checked out Macs site. Wow. Thanks again for the info. I'm going to add a few of these to my Christmas list.