Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Waterslide Transfers for glass

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Waterslide Transfers for glass

Post by DAVE SMITH »

This is a piece I am currently restoring for a collector.
I came across the instructions printed on the back of this print on how to apply it. It looks like a printed Litho but with a gum adhesive, it also appears they may have left the backing sheet of paper on.
The gold is very rich looking on the sides of the box.

Again the condition of the print is exellent, silvering is not too bad but the lettering needs careful attention.
Does anyone have Lee littlewood's contact details as I would like to look into making some illustrations (waterslide transfers)for another sign.
I have a video of Rick explaining some information which was very helpful but I need some more info, I know Lee has had success with this technique.
Also anybody else looking in who has had some knowledge on how to go about making waterslides would be very helpful.
Thanks Dave

Robert Schwieger

Post by Robert Schwieger »

I am sure that someone out there has the complete information. I do recall some 50 years ago that I was informed that waterslide decals were essentially screenprinted using lacquers. The inks were not soluble in water and the lacquer was quite tough. It seems to me that the initial layer was clear lacquer and subsequent layers, front to back were also lacquer. It also seems possible that the first "clear" layer may have been gum arabic which is soluble in water.
Suppliers of decal paper were also available to screenprinters for this task. These papers had a clear coat in place for the screenprinter requiring only the additional color elements to be screened.
Bob
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Dave, I forwarded Lee's contact information.

For those interested, the information is available on the Green page under Rick Glawson, the second link below.

Lee took notes at a Conclave as Rick demonstrated the process. Whether or not the decal paper is still around is another matter.

http://www.theletterheads.com/

http://www.theletterheads.com/glawson/decalomaniac.html
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Dad used parchment paper for this process. It must have a low rag content though so it will soak through from the back. He used clear brushing lacquer for the second coat...after the glue. I have used pen and ink parchment with some success although I have seen some charcoal and pastel paper that looked right enough but have not tried them. I think how well sizing works on the paper intially will indicate how well the rest will work. He made his glue slurry from Lepages wood glue, thinned down with water and glycerin but I don't know the ratios as I was just an observer back then. That would be similar to a thinned hide glue slurry.
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Dave,
Check out decalpaper.com they offer a waterslide paper.
About 10 years ago I bought all the materials and decal paper needed to make water transfer decals from McLogan's Sign Supply in L.A..
I was planning, and still would like to set some time aside to make waterslide decals with vitreous (glass) colors to fire into glass with my kilns.
Also, gold lusters can be screened onto the decal paper, when transfered and fired onto the glass they are quite nice.
Pat
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks lads........... .all good helpful advice as usual.
Dave
James Warwick

Post by James Warwick »

Dave..
Get yourself a Alps MD 5000 printer...
James Kelly

Post by James Kelly »

James Kelly
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks both James ,some very helpful info there, hopefully figured it all out here now.
Dave