Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Locomotive Painting

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

John Grenier

Locomotive Painting

Post by John Grenier »

I have something new that I have never done. I will be repainting two locomotives not the entire machine but about a 4 foot stripe, side, front and entire cab. Two colors then lettered, colors are solid color not metallics. We can not spray paint easily because of the open repair shed. Looking to prep the surface and then roll and brushout. Any suggestions what paint to use. Grip-Gard Plus Paint for Metal or Matthews Paints how do they brush and roll?
Thanks again,
John
John Grenier
Up North Studio
Les Cheneaux Islands Art Gallery
2960 W. M-134
P.O. Box 83
Hessel, MI 49745-0083

906-484-3949
c. 906-322-2886
upnorthstudio@hughes.net
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

John,
I am not sure ,are you painting the background first or just the art and lettering?If you are doing the background I would suggest find a very exprienced painter that know how to do really high end enamel work.If you have ever seen those guy lay down and brush out enamel it's quite an art.

As for the stripe and any lettering that can be done with One shot.

Check out this one I did with my Dad years ago.

http://www.ghosttownsigns.com/ghosttown ... tTown.html

Go all the way to the bottom.

Roderick
John Grenier

Locomotive Painting

Post by John Grenier »

Thanks for your prompt reply. What I am looking for is an industrial quality paint like Matthews and Grip Guard or some other brand that can be rolled and brushed out. As for a skilled enough person to do it, my helper is expert at laying varnish and paint on antique wood boats, some very large. Actually my first idea was to use a boat paint Petit or other high quality brand because of its working properties.
The design is large areas of solid color with one color lettering that will be one shot hand lettered.

I just found this in my suppliers website (Wensco)

Grip-Gard Plus Brush/Roll Additive

Part A of a two component self-etching primer for application over bare metal surfaces. Mix in equal amounts with Grip-Gard Washprimer Hardener. Brushing/Rolling Additive converts Grip-Gard Plus spray paint into a coating that can be brush or roller applied for touch-up purposes or on small surface areas.
Mixing ratio as follows:

100 parts Grip-Gard Plus topcoat
50 parts Grip-Gard Plus Hardener
25 parts Grip-Gard Plus Brushing/Rolling Additive

http://www.wensco.com/Products/BrowseRe ... 8|242|2208
John Grenier
Up North Studio
2960 W. M-134
P.O. Box 83
Hessel, MI 49745-0083

906-484-3949
c. 906-322-2886
upnorthstudio@hughes.net
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

The brush and roll additives for either GripGurad or MAP work quite well but must be applied over a thoroughly primed surface.

I have used alkyd enamels with good success on the locomotives and railcars at the Colorado Railroad Museum. They are using a locally available product with great success for maintenance which is similar to Bulletin enamel. I recently redid the Burlington RPO which had lasted 15 years since prior repaint. The alkyd allows touch up matching to cover wear and tear due to use and tourists. See crrm.org for good examples.
John Grenier

Post by John Grenier »

Thanks Kent,
We will be going forward. Great advice here as usual.

John
John Grenier
Up North Studio
2960 W. M-134
P.O. Box 83
Hessel, MI 49745-0083

906-484-3949
c. 906-322-2886
upnorthstudio@hughes.net