Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Price of Gold

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Fielder

Price of Gold

Post by Doug Fielder »

Hey all,

Been gone for a while and have only done 1 small gilding job in the last year since I left San Francisco (where I was laying some Hastings leaf!), but I have seen the price of gold almost double in the last year (by the ounce price). How has this effected the price of gold leaf? I have a couple packs here and haven't been in the market for it lately, but thought it would be an interesting topic.

Where do you get your gold, and how much is it?

I have always bought mine from Art Essentials in NY (besides from Rick many years ago) I think a pack was $260 something the last time I bought it.
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

I recently bought some books of Italian 23K gold from Easy Leaf in L.A. and paid $31.00 each for 6 books. I'm only buying in books as needed.

There is a silver lining though. The increasing price of gold has in turn made my Smith's Tip worth it's weight in gold!! Thank you Dave!

Pat
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Doug,
Just awhile back I paid I think $580.00 a pack for 23k glass gold.When I called Art Essentials the first thing they said was "Are ya sittin down" .I geuss the last time I bought it from them it was $280.00.

Buy the way if your into biking Raleigh/durham has some of the best trails in the country.Check out the William Umstead park.It goes on forever! I rode alot when I was there working for "The Cheese Cake Factory".

Roderick
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

The last pack I bought was $490. I'd like to put in a good word for W&B Gold Leaf. They are great people with exceptional service.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

I just ordered a pack of German patent (23k) today from Art Essentials......$576. $560 for surface + S&H.

I guess my prices are going up again..... (I'm glad the customer is paying for this!)

Joe,
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I just ordered a pack of Best Italian 22k Patent DeepGold. Delivered price: $618.75 Ouch!
I think the last pack was around $350.

Also, I don't know if I had ever heard the news that Arnold Jacobs (Art Essentials of NY) passed away a few years ago. He was a very nice gentleman over the phone. I never got to meet him, though he dropped by our old shop one day while we were out.

Best regards,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Just today order 2 packs of german transfer/patent leaf. Will arrive tomorrow but will come in at just under $700 each. I was told it has to do with the Euro vs our dollar. I say our right now as they (Canadian and US) are so close in value.
David Harding

Post by David Harding »

I priced some the other day at Art Essentials and it has doubled from the last pack I bought. He told me the real driving force in the price increase has been the currency, not the cost of Gold. Either way, the price has to go up to my customers.
David M. Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX
www.asignx.com