Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Grinding & polishing glass questions...

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jerry Berg

Grinding & polishing glass questions...

Post by Jerry Berg »

I'm doing a chipped and gilded sign for a customer and I've seen gound and polished edges here and have never attempted this. I thought this would be a good time to try this. In this case I thought doing the edges like this instead of a frame would fit in very well with thier environment, plus I've really been wanting to do this. So, what do I need and what are the steps. BTW, I'll also be needing holes drilled in the glass.
I really appreciate this site and the very talented people here. Information like this has never been easier to get as nowadays and I for one feel very fortunate to come here and ask and get answers to valuable questions so freely.

Thanks, Jerry
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Jerry,

Normally I order what ever edge I want on the panel when it comes from my glass supplier.

Flat polished
Pencil polished etc.

Glass finishing equipment tends to be pricey so unless you are planning to do alot of it I would go that route.I know that Pat Mackel likes to do all of his own so hopefully he will give you his input.

As for the holes thats pretty easy to do.You just need the right size bit ,a drill ,some water and a little time.I would do a few test pieces first to get the hang of it.If the holes are 1/2" or larger have the glass supplier do it.

Sara king has a cool drill system for sale with instruction.

Call if you have any questions
760 943 9299
www.customglasssigns.com

Roderick
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Jerry,

what type of edge are you trying to get? If your looking for a bevel on the glass, Rod's correct, you order it from the glass company. Straight, flat cuts with no polishing is ordered to size with seamed edges.

Flat edges with a slight 45° bevel on both faces is known as flat polished, and beveled glass is done on glass from 3/16 up to 3/4" and thicker glass, and specified by the width of the bevel. Pencil polished has a slight concave edge.

There is another edge that you may be thinking of, know as a nipped edge, accomplished with a nipper, a tool that chips out pieces of glass. An example of that can be seen here: https://handletteringforum.com/forum ... php?t=2100 , the Dolly Madison piece that Larry posted.

Edited to add:

If your truly looking to grind and polish glass, you'll need to start acquiring the equipment and knowledge to get to that end. From what Dave Smith has said, it has a steep learning curve that requires a lot of time and practice.

I'd love to try it some day, but at this point I need another lifetime to catch up with this one.

Whatever you do, have fun.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com