Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

damar varnish

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

damar varnish

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Rick Glawson gave me a recipe for damar varnish one year at Fine Gold. I have put it somewhere and cannot for the life of me find it anywhere.
Do any of you guy's have the same recipe to Rick's? If so please would you mind forwarding me a copy.
Manythanks fingers crossed.......
Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Rick told me it but I never wrote it down. I have a chuck of the dried varnish resin waiting for turpentine but have no idea how much of what. I always thought I'd just buy it!
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

I have a receipe but it is not Rick's.

Damar lumps 1 part
Turpintine 1 part

Hope that helps

Roderick
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Dave,

I always carried my notebook with me and wrote stuff down. I'm sure I have it somewhere but don't know where my notes are at the moment. A lot of good that does!
Assuming what Rick wrote in the Esoteric Sign Supply catalogue is that same as what Rick said, here is a quote from page 16:

"DAMAR VARNISH - Thick bodied liquified damar gum for picture adhesion in reverse work and center embossing. It does not dry on its own and must be mixed with varnish to set up and dry. Mix 50/50 damar and varnish for litho or canvas adhesion. For embossing add 50% volume of Res-n-gel to your damar/varnish mix as a thickener giving you the desired one third of each."

I assume you'd like to use it for embossing. This is the way I've used it.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Having re-read your post, I see I answered the wrong question. Guess you're looking for how to MAKE damar varnish, not use it. - I have no idea.
Better luck from others.
Dan
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks lads .yes I am looking just to make it Dan. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
Dave
James Warwick

Dave... Go To...

Post by James Warwick »

Dave..
It looks easy !!
Go to:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/47992/606/

I think I could do it myself !!
Good Luck
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

I purchased some Liquid Damar Varnish and a pound of Damar Crystals from the local art supply store.

I poured the Liquid Damar Varnish into a larger container, and added some Damar Crystals.

It took a few weeks for the Damar Varnish to Dissolve the Damar Crystals and become thick enough to use for embossing.

Every other week, I would open up the container, stir it , and put some more Crystals in to dissolve. Its really thick now! I seem to remember Rick saying that he did this also.

I have not tried starting from scratch with the Turpintine and Crystals.

You should try booth ways.

RMN
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I think I remember Rick having a little "wave machine". It had a gallon or two gallon jar that sat on a holder. It the base was hinged at one end and would raise and lower on the other end with a small motor and cam.

Kent Smith sold white damar for quite a few years. I am sure he knows the steps and proportions.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks lads I now have it sorted here.